Low profile air filter

monte70z20

Does anyone use a low profile air filter?  Looking for a part number for one of these.  Prefer a paper element type (Fram, AC Delco, Purolator, etc.)  My air cleaner is just under 14 inches round (approx. 13.75").  A 3 inch tall filter is too high and I can't close the hood.  Looking for something in the 2 inch height range.  Thanks.

Years ago (many) I bought a Moroso "drop base" 14 inch diameter and ran a 4" tall filter with no hood insulation and did not rub. Probably could get away with a 3" if you still have the insulation. 

I also want to point out if you install a drop base like I did you do not have to use the top plate that came with it, I installed a filtered K&N top on mine now with that original Moroso drop base. I even have a 6" filter on it now but have a hood scoop.

My modified 402 came to me with an Edlebrock Torker II manifold and 650 Edlebrock AVS carb which sits reasonably high so it had a non-dropped 2" air filter. 

When I upgraded to a 750 Edlebrock (and later to a 750 AED), I wanted less air restriction and better filtration so I experimented with several combinations of dropped bases and top lids to allow the use of a 3" filter element. 

I was surprised to learn that some combinations of dropped bases and top lids actually reduced the clearance between the carb entrance and the lid more than the original non-dropped 2" filter set up.  The distance between the top of the carb and the closed hood (especially with a hood blanket) is obviously fixed and limited.  Maximizing the use of that fixed dimension for actual air flow into the carb is important for performance but may not give the best appearance so it depends on what is most important to you. 

Obviously, the final height of any air cleaner combo (don't forget the stud length and lid nut) has to be limited to the available carb to hood clearance, but there are several combinations of bases, lids, studs and nuts for a 3" element that will give different internal air flow clearances.  Technically, the internal air flow clearance of any combination can be measured, but it is pretty easy to eyeball the differences by just assembling each combo of base, element and lid on the bench and inspecting it through the carb opening.  

A tall air filter may look cool but it may not do much, if anything, for actual air flow if it takes a severely dropped base/lid combo to make it fit.

P3030176.JPG

P2242315.JPG

IMG_5516.JPG

I have a dropped base on my 350 but I had to a 1/2" spacer so it did not hit the carb.  I have plenty of clearance and it looks good too. Right now I have a paper filter but usually have the K&N cleanable one.

Thanks everyone.  I have a dropped base on mine but ran into the same problem as Larry (Leghome) and have to use a 3/4" spacer to clear the carb.  I went with a Mr Gasket 1480A as Joe (jft69z) suggested and I can now close the hood.  I'll have to revisit the air flow issue once I get the car on the road and possibly have to make some changes/add a hood scoop.  Thanks again, very much appreciated.