Engine bay 101 for dummies

mmccammon

I am posting photos of my recently acquired 70 SS 

on a scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being the inability to tell the difference between a lawnmower engine and a car engine I’m maybe a 3-4!

the car is in great shape structurally with 42 k documented miles.

sounds great at idle but...

running rough on acceleration with a bit of backfire/misfire...I know the list can be long and I’ve got a mechanic looking it over this week.

id appreciate any general comments about the engine bay..

( I know the auto level compressor is gone).

also not sure what’s supposed to be attached to carb where I marked black lines

Thanks 

mike

9D934D5C-484B-4531-A95B-3A5AC88D1A43.jpeg

A72ADDE3-2AEB-402B-B668-D5C6CEDCEC65.jpeg

059788FB-845A-4AD2-8324-727223B33DE1.jpeg

4F36976D-37CF-4F8B-A057-F97E069ABDA9.jpeg

AD090C08-C42B-4819-830D-E9C1E254B7CA.jpeg

747519EF-FED4-4266-8AA4-D6866C9B9753.jpeg

Hey Mike, nice Monte!  I believe in my 71 402 auto car that line is for the distributor. Not 100% positive though. 

As for the running rough. Are you driving with the vacuum port open? Any others open? Also check spark olug wires 5 and 7. Very common to  cross those. Care will idle well enough but miss under load or driving. Good luck. Hope this helps. 

Thanks Thomas!

you may be right!

just looked.. if I’m understanding this and observing correctly.. several wires may be off 7 looks like it’s going to 6 or 8.

if this diagram is correct would you suggest I move wires as shown?

6EEF1D8F-D5F8-4269-8340-475E69CA9C42.jpeg

Mike, Great looking car.  Is that the original paint or at least original paint color.  Please check the paint code and tell me if it is "63" which would be Desert Sand.  My original Monte Carlo was a 70 Desert Sand that I bought new off a dealer lot.  Desert Sand must be a very rare color because since the day I picked mine up at the dealer I have not seen another Desert Sand painted car.

rob

That carb looks pretty old, gaskets shrink and rubbers can't stand up to today's fuels. I'd also say if it idles nicely but has issues during acceleration, the accelerator pump is bad, your spark plug wires may not be wrong. Also, floats may be out of whack. I suggest you find a quality rebuilder, they use better rubbers today.

And year, those open ports are a problem....

On 7/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, Rob Peters said:

Mike, Great looking car.  Is that the original paint or at least original paint color.  Please check the paint code and tell me if it is "63" which would be Desert Sand.  My original Monte Carlo was a 70 Desert Sand that I bought new off a dealer lot.  Desert Sand must be a very rare color because since the day I picked mine up at the dealer I have not seen another Desert Sand painted car.

rob

Rob 

thanks !

its had one repaint.. with original color...code 55 (champagne gold).

the lighting may make it look darker