Ignition problem...( or my car is haunted)

Hey everybody!

I got a quick question... took the Monte out for a cruise today, and when I shut it off the engine went off like it normally would, but the radio and the dummy lights stayed on;( like when the key is in the on position) but the key was in the off position. I restarted the car and shut it off again, and then it was normal. What might be the cause of this, is something going bad? 

Thanks,

Wayne

I believe Paul is referring to the ignition mounted on the lower steering column. Not the key switch/cylinder.

The parts place, ground up, Leo, ausleys, etc. A Chevelle ignition is the same. Just make sure you order the correct year. 

If you have tilt steering, ACDelco D1405B.

If you do not have tilt steering, ACDelco D1404B.

$12.75 and $16. 54 plus shipping at rockauto.com

It's on top of the steering column. Ya got small hands?

ig switch.jpg

Do I have to pull the steering wheel then? If it's at the top of the column I guess I'm having trouble picturing where it is. I do not have tilt....

I just changed my ignition switch myself. I removed the two nuts that hold the steering column up and dropped the column. This gave me room to replace the ignition switch. If it is a column shifter you will need to remove the screw that holds the cable for the shift indicator.

• Like 2

Aaron mentioned this "If it is a column shifter you will need to remove the screw that holds the cable for the shift indicator."

This cannot be mentioned enough! You can snap the thin cable if not done. IMG_0377-2.thumb.JPG.99c7d59ac337f185dd565abbed3de643.JPG