gdubya

1970 SS Carb Question

So I have a legit 70SS but noticed when I went to order the kit to rebuild the carb the part number didn’t line up to it being on a 70. It was a Carter built Q-Jet for a 74 manual trans car. Bummer!

Question 1 - it was common for Carter to build carbs for Rochester but was it common in Monte Carlos built at Van Nuys?

Question 2 - how can I tell what month my car was built?  If I find a carb I would like to get the correct date code  

Question 3 - can someone share their carb part number assuming it is original to the car?  The 7th digit should be even for any automatic and should be something like 7040200, 7040202, etc...  I want to make sure I find the one with the correct 7th digit  

Hi. 

1- no clue. Lol

2-if you have a build sheet or find one. Also look on  the driver's door, by the latch for a sticker with the build date and Vin. But the quickest way is to decifer the trim tag on the cowl, under the hood. 

3- the Chevelle SS 454 auto used the same carb, because it is the same engine, the LS5.  Finding numbers for that is easier than for a Monte. 

Hope this helps. 

7040200 is correct when Rochester couldn’t keep up with demand the provided carter with the equipment to make carbs for them same exact and more rare in my opinion. They date code is simple A is January B is February and you should be able to look at other engine parts for same code system and come to your build date. It’s exceptable to go up to 3 months before actually build date.

Found these, may give you some idea what to look for in regards to carb numbers.

Scroll down 3/4 of the page to 10A, it lists carb part numbers,  it shows Calif. carb numbers too on 10B:

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Monte-Carlo/1970-Chevrolet-Monte-Carlo.pdf

More related stuff:

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/sucs-1033-rochester-carburetor-part-numbers/

https://www.chevellestuff.net/qd/rochester_carbs.htm

EDIT: the carb Bob listed above is what shows up in the GM Heritage info for a Monte (I was still looking thru that when Bob posted the number).

For the longest time decades ago couldn’t figure why my protecto plate had a C instead of R C is Cater carb, R of course is Rochester never seen an H for Holley .