found this 70ss and was wondering what one this nice would be worth? anybody have an idea of what it is worth? i am told its original 70 ss454. thanks for any input.

Resized_20190809_194106.jpeg

Resized952019080995193903002.jpg

Resized_20190809_194249.jpeg

Does it have a build sheet? The air ride compressor is a big plus. Does it have the rear shock guards?? The valve covers and air cleaner are clearly incorrect but if it's numbers matching I would hope it's worth 22-28K. What are they asking??

35k. i thought it was quite high, i did not look for the shock guards. they say the only thing it does not have is power windows ,seats & rear window defroster...

A couple minor things that are odd but may not be an issue. The air tank under the hood does not appear to be correct for a Monte Carlo but at least the compressor and the brackets are there. The steering wheel and column on "most" 1970 SS454s were black but I know there are some rare occasions where it was the colour of the interior. The dash knob for the radio is a 71/72 style. Be sure to check for the other SS items as described on this page:
https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/ss454/

35k is a lot of money but we all hope that the values are on the way up. Arron is correct that the air tank nose is smooth and that is the tank style that Pontiac used. The column on my SS was painted green but it was a standard column. I would do my homework on this car, could be that they pieced together this car. Build sheet would almost be a must. Also check the casting numbers on the block. Good luck

I DID NOTICE THE RADIO KNOBS WERE NOT CORRECT. THE OWNER SAID THEY DO NOT HAVE THE BUILD SHEET,  BUT NEVER LOOKED FOR IT. DAN WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY A 512 BLOCK? 

Check the letter in the 7th position of the VIN.  If it is "F" (Flint) you will not find a Build Sheet (at least no one has to date).  If it is "B" (Baltimore) or "L" (Van Nuys) it is very likely at least one build sheet hidden in that car and it would be well worth some careful looking to find it.  Under the rear seat cushion or behind the bucket seat backs are the easiest places to look but sheets have been found under the carpet, on top of the gas tank, inside door panels and various other non-visible places.  I know prices of SS models are up due to increased interest and demand but $35K still seems high to me.  It would have to be documented for me to even think about it at that price.

I'm no expert, but I use the Hagerty valuation tool as a "guide" when trying to figure out prices. The real bottom line is what you are willing to pay. Car values constantly change and today a 70 SS in excellent condition is around 34K, thats condition 2, condition 1 being pebble beach scenario. As stated do your homework so you know what your looking at. Good luck 

Prices are on the rise for our beloved Montes. If documented 30k is not unreasonable any more.

all good information guys. thanks for the input. also i Will look at the hagerty vaulation tool.. thanks!!

For a 1970 car with a 454 the block casting number should be 3963512. Some 1969 427 cars also used a 3963512 block. 1971 cars with a 454 also used a 3963512 block. If you do not have a block with the 3963512 casting number, you do not have a correct 454 for the car. You may not even have a 454. If you have a block with a 6969854 casting number you have a 402 engine. To determine if a 512 block is correct for your car, one way to determine this is by the 3 letter code on the pad on the engine block.  This pad is located behind the alternator. CRN would be a correct code for a 1970 Monte Carlo.

If you do have a 3963512 block you will want to compare the partial vin number on the pad behind the alternator to the full vin number that is in front of your dash pad on the drivers side. The last six numbers on the full vin tag should match the partial vin stamped on the engine block.

I noticed it has the wrong configuration on the PCV valve vacuum hose. It should look like this:

20190814_174431.jpg

Also, the front compressor bracket is not an original. The foot on the right side is not shaped right, the left side is not formed right from top to bottom, and the nuts are zinc plated hex nuts. They should be square nuts and the same black finish as the rest of the bracket. 

Screenshot_20190814-175338_Chrome.jpg

20190814_175221.jpg

I got to hand it to everyone,  I knew if I asked for help with verification this was the place to be. Thanks for the priceless information. I am leaning alot. And will use it going forward.

Price not off  at all for SS 454 I'm going to ask 30 for my 350 300 HP 35k mile car. Probably wont get it but should not be to for off. Show quality paint and the rest is like a time capsule. 

I have 30k on my small block cars hagerty coverage