Speed or Cruise Control

stangeba

I added a used Cruise control to my 71 about 30 years ago. It has served me well with several unexplained issues, where it would not engage. Each time I just took it apart, did really nothing and it would work again for several years. I bought a back up unit over 10 years ago just in case.

Well is stopped working again last week so I started testing and found the "engage" button on the T/S lever would not send power properly, it would just flash for a brief second and go out when the button was pushed all the way in. I have a spare button so I tried it out with no luck, BUT the new switch was NOT grounded it was just plugged into the connector under the dash. I took apart the unit under the hood and sanded the two different "points" inside and couldn't find any other problem except this air filter that is falling apart. I removed the air filter, reinstalled everything and got it to work, with a then grounded replacement switch. Then even with the old switch worked!

Does anyone know where to get this filter? I may make just one from a lawn mower filter. (I think it's ready to be replaced, don't you?)

Thanks, Bruce

IMG-0686.JPG

Some pictures of a CC unit like mine. (rebuilt) The filter is under the square thing with holes in it.

Bruce

Cruise Control_1.JPG

Cruise Control_2.JPG

Cruise Control_3.JPG

Cruise Control_4.JPG

Hey Bruce, Looking at the filter you showed I was wondering if you would be able to use either a piece of scotch-bright pad or even  something like the filter that goes into a home window air conditioner.

rob

Good idea Rob!

I was thinking of  using a lawnmower "sponge" air filter and cutting it to fit.

Paul, thanks for the name, I will see what they can do or what they have.

Bruce

Who is this Ron guy you speak of?   I know, the "n" is right next to the "b", just pulling your chain.  I have fat fingers and often make the same mistake.

ron

Sorry, corrected......... sometimes I push the wrong buttons, not my Cruise Control button..........

Bruce