I Pick This Up Tomorrow!!!!

Rob Peters

My Chevy Captiva is starting to have some issues and has over 91,000 miles on the odometer.  Tomorrow I will be replacing it with this 2017 Terrain Denali that has 9200 miles on it.  The price could not be beat.  When I saw this listed on a dealer lot and did a KBB lookup on it I could not figure out why the listing price was so much lower than it should have been.  I headed to the dealership to check it out.  WOW is this a nice vehicle. 

I took a test drive and then we started to haggle over the price.  Before going to the dealer I looked at all of the pictures they had of the car on line, I looked at all of the listed options options.  One of the pictures showed the odometer as 9175 miles and I plugged all of the options and mileage into the Kelly Blue Book web site.  Low and behold they were asking a little bit below the low price that KBB showed.  OK, half the fun of buying a car is trying to talk them down and get everything you can.  

So I said, this car is a GM Certified sale, right"? and they said NO.  I asked why a car with only 9200 miles on it and a clean Carfax report is not considered a GM Certified sale.  (The GM Certified warranty is very important to me when buying a used car.  It makes it a 12 month/12,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage and also a 6 year, 100,000 powertrain warranty.  They agreed it should be GM Certified and are providing that added bonus. 

I had test driven the car and when I did a walk on the car I noticed it did not have the original tires on the car but until now I did not mention this.  The tires on this car were worn more than 9200 miles.  What it looks like happened is when this car was turned in, someone at the dealership swapped the tires from this car onto another used car they were trying to sell to close the deal and put the tires off of that other car and put it onto this one.

So, this car was at another one of their dealerships on the other side of town and I had told them I was interested in the car but did not want to travel to the other side of town and asked them to bring it to this side of town and they had done that for me.  Now it is time to close the deal.  I knew the car was under priced by over $1000.  I told them I was interested in the car but I am going to have to replace the tires by next summer.  I told them if they will come down another $1000 on the price, due to the tires and a scuff mark on the lower rocker, I would take the car I would take the deal.  The salesman said that was not possible.  I said OK, thanked the salesman for his time picked up my papers I had brought with me, along with the papers they had provided me up to that point and told them to have a good day.  I walked out the door and was in my car making a call when the salesman called me on my phone and said the General Manager wanted to know why I had left so quickly and asked me to come back. I needed to get home to take Patsy to a doctors appointment and told the salesman this and I told him i did not have time to do a bunch of back and forth and would only come back in if they were ready to close the deal with what I had offered.  I really did not expect them to agree but was very glad they did because I really like the car.  We closed the deal and I pick it up tomorrow.

Tomorrow is my birthday so Happy Birthday To Me.

Here are a few pictures of the car.

rob

Front.jpgNew from side.jpgback.jpg

Picked it up this afternoon.  I love it.  I feel I need some kind of week long class to learn all of the bells and whistles.  The only thing that worries me is all the things that cause it to beep inside may cause me to get so used to the beeping that I start to ignore the beeps...... sort of how we have learned to tune out the beeps from our FIOS box because the backup battery is old and needs to be replaced.

rob

Nice find, Rob, love the color! Happy Belated Birthday!   If this jewel doesn't make you happy, you are a hard guy to please! 😊

We turned on our 2016 Terrain in April. It was not the Denali version but a really great vehicle. Enjoy your new ride. We leased a 2019 Equinox and I like all the bells and whistles but liked the Terrain a little better. 

5 minutes ago, Leghome said:

We turned on our 2016 Terrain in April. It was not the Denali version but a really great vehicle. Enjoy your new ride. We leased a 2019 Equinox and I like all the bells and whistles but liked the Terrain a little better. 

Larry, on Monday we had looked at a 2018 very nice Equinox with a lot of bells and whistles.  We took a test drive and did the paperwork with the intent to pick it up in a couple days.  Since we had completed the financial paperwork they did not demand any money down to hold the car.  Like I said, we liked the vehicle.  The next morning I told Patsy, I don't want the Equinox because for some reason it just doesn't bowl me over and just doesn't feel right and she said she was glad to hear that because she felt the same way.  

Patsy didn't feel good yesterday so I went and closed the deal on my own so today was the first time she got to go out and look at the Terrain Denali and ride in it.  She loves it and said she was glad we cancelled the deal on the Equinox.  Like I said, the Equinox was a very nice car.  It was a little bigger than the Captiva I had before, but not much.  I think in 2018 they downsized the Equinox and even the Terrain a little bit because this Terrain Denali seems a bit larger.  

Enjoy your your Equinox, it is also a very nice vehicle....... of course, neither the Equinox nor the Denali are as much fun or enjoyable to cruise in as our First Gen Monte Carlo's

rob