New Starter Install

MrLPeezy

Hello Everyone!

So I’m not mechanically inclined, but I want to be. My starter on my Monte went out and I replaced it with a newer one. My concern is that there is a slight gap where the starter mounts into the flywheel housing. I’ve attached a photo, as best as I could take it. Any feedback on whether that looks correct or if I’m going to run into a problem would be greatly appreciated!

91852093-AE56-4DA7-859E-B59E906EF3F9.jpeg

Hello.

A gap is ok between the inspection cover and the starter. Does the starter start the car without noise?  Grinding? No? Then all is well! Good job! Lolol

• Like 1

Well when I turned the car over all I got was a repeated clicking sound. I’m thinking the gear is not engaging the flywheel. Could anybody confirm what that would sound like? That is, the gear not engaging the flywheel sound? Maybe just a “whirring” sound?

Thanks all!

If the battery is good, and you hear a "whirring" sound, the starter is not engaging the flywheel. Aka the Bendix is not kicking out. 

If all you get is a click, either the battery is dead or weak (most common) or the starter itself is no good. Especially if a rebuilt starter and not a new one. Seems that most of the rebuilt stuff nowadays is junk. 

If the starter turns the engine  and makes a grinding noise, could need to be shimmed for flexplate to starter clearance. 

Hope this helps. 

Also, if it is not engaging the flexplate, try turning the key quickly a few times. Sometimes it just gets stuck sitting in a box. 

Turn the headlights on and turn the key if the lights go dim most likely its the battery. I do agree I won't even used rebuilt stuff anymore. I used a Powermaster high torque on mine, I think I got it from Jegs or Summit. It looks and fits exactly like the orig.

I want to thank everyone for getting back to me. I got the new starter installed, no shims needed, no grinding of the flywheel... just needed to secure the connections to the battery and added a ground strap to the frame. Now its running great. Thanks again everyone!

• Like 1