Just For Fun

Rob Peters

My sister has a beautiful voice and has been requested to sing for many funerals...
She was recently asked by a funeral director to sing at a graveside service for a homeless man.

He had no family or friends, so the service was to be at a pauper's cemetery out in the country.

Unfortunately, she was not familiar with the area, and had gotten a bit lost...

Finally arriving an hour late, she noticed that the funeral director had evidently gone, for the hearse was nowhere in sight. There were only the diggers and crew left and they were eating lunch. 

She felt badly and apologized to the men for being late, then went to the side of the grave and looked down and the vault lid was already in place. She didn’t know what else to do, so she began to sing ‘Amazing Grace’ so beautifully that the workers put down their lunches and began to gather around. 
She sang out her heart and soul for this poor man who had no one to remember him, and sang like never before...

As she continued singing, those hard working men couldn’t contain themselves and began to cry uncontrollably.  They wept, she wept, even passerby’s stopped and they wept together.

When finished, she gave them all hugs, and though her head hung low, her heart was full. As she opened the door to her car, she heard one 
of the workers say, “I’ve never seen nothin’ like that before and I’ve been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.”

Apparently, she’s still lost…

rob