Pertronix Distributor Conversion? - Useful Infomation.

jays55

Posting this for anyone who has done a Pertronix distibutor conversion to replace their original point/condenser......

On a recent start up. my '70 454SS had a distinct miss.  I removed the spark plugs and the #4 plug was wet.  I checked the #4 plug wire and was getting no fire at the plug.  I removed the #4 wire at the distributor and there was no spark from the distributor.  I replaced the distributor cap and rotor.  Still no spark at #4 cylinder.

Not knowing were to go next (and after posting on the forum), I contacted Pertronix to see if they had any idea what could cause this miss at a single cylinder.  The tech immediately suspected the Pertronix magnetic ring of having damage, or a thrown magnet.  Without hesitation, he offered to send me a replacement magnetic ring.

When I received the replacement magnetic ring, I removed the distributor and, sure enough, the insulating material below the #4 magnet was torn.  I replaced the ring and the car runs like new!

For anyone else who has done this upgrade and is experiencing a non-firing cylinder before the distributor cap, here is the likely problem.  This would be difficult to diagnose without this info.

Below is a pic of the old magnetic ring (left) and the replacement (right).  Also a link to the youtube video on converting the distributor.....

Installing PerTronix 1181 Ignitor or 91181 Ignitor II into standard Delco Remy Distributor - YouTube

PertroxRing.jpg