Paint on molding around vinyl top

Windjamer14

Satin is correct. I did mine off the car. I removed the dings and scratches, polished, and then used wax and grease remover. Wet sanded the part to be painted with 600 and then did the masking. Degreased again and then snapped them onto a board that I had screwed 2 of the plastic roof clips to. I fastened the board and trim piece horizontally to a post, with the tape on top, so gravity would help keep the paint from running under the tape edge. Be sure to use very light coats of paint. I switched back and forth from painting, to prepping the next piece. It takes awhile, but it's well worth the effort. 

Dan

20170807_114146.jpg

• Like 1

I used a flat paint. When you apply a vinyl roof conditioner ( I use 303 Aerospace Protectant) it gets just enough shine.

They're stainless so good prep is important.

After removal from the car, I broke up the surface with some fine wet paper and cleaned with preps-all. Then I masked it and warmed it with a heat gun and shot some self-etching primer. After it cured, heat again and hit it with the paint.

Vinyl Break.jpg