1971 ratty 5.3 ls swap

mramirez949

Alright so I’m planning a 5.3 ls swap on my 71 monte. I just want a run through of pretty much all it would take to get this thing installed and running as cheaply as possible. I’ll be using my th400. As of right now i’ve found two good candidates for around 400 bucks. Made sure they were both dbc and have less than 200k miles on em. i want to know cheapest oil pan, motor mount adapter plates, can i make the plates? headers/stock exhaust? and then getting it to fire up and move

hope i can get some good info on this thanks everyone 

Oil pan: 99-02 F-body pan.  This doesn't fit Chevelles but fits Monte Carlos perfectly, for much less than Holley pans.

Mount adapters: You can make your own, or purchase.  I would recommend set-back mounts as they let your transmission and driveshaft stay in the same position.

Headers: Speed Engineering 25-1025-1.  1 3/4" long tube stainless steel headers, they fit like a glove and go to the transmission crossmember.

For wiring it and getting it to run, https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/ and www.lt1swap.com are the best resources.  Unless you want a 100% custom harness, your time is better spent purchasing a reworked harness.  Sometimes I wish that I had done that rather than modify the stock harness myself.

4 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Oil pan: 99-02 F-body pan.  This doesn't fit Chevelles but fits Monte Carlos perfectly, for much less than Holley pans.

Mount adapters: You can make your own, or purchase.  I would recommend set-back mounts as they let your transmission and driveshaft stay in the same position.

Headers: Speed Engineering 25-1025-1.  1 3/4" long tube stainless steel headers, they fit like a glove and go to the transmission crossmember.

For wiring it and getting it to run, https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/ and www.lt1swap.com are the best resources.  Unless you want a 100% custom harness, your time is better spent purchasing a reworked harness.  Sometimes I wish that I had done that rather than modify the stock harness myself.

thanks for the info. i’ll look into all these parts and websites. if i can find a reworked harness that wont break the bank i might go with that. or ive got a friend that works with these harnesses i’ll ask him how much he’ll charge me for one

• 3 weeks later...

got the old engine out and the new engine ready to go in just need to modify the flexplate to take the older converter and gotta find some bell housing bolts. in the pic the engine still has the truck pan but i just changed it today

C7AC1AC4-AD11-44D8-9672-92939698019A.jpeg

310F5E4B-493B-4953-803C-DF6534A56B4F.jpeg