inside hood release

Guest caddycarlo

Guest caddycarlo

has anyone modified there hood release to work remotely like from inside the car with a cable pull or with an electric solenoid up by the latch ?

I have some Ideas but wonder what any one else has done to keep there engine secure............

Back in the late 60's / early 70's Oldsmobile had an optional inside hood lock. A slide lever was mounted under the dash and had a cable that pinned the hood latch shut. I've seen them on the Cutlass, Toronado and full size (98's and 88's). Since the latches are similar, you should be able to adapt one to a Monte.

I have some Ideas but wonder what any one else has done to keep there engine secure............

After having someone many years ago decide they were gonna help themselve to whatever they could grab from under my hood (battery, air cleaner, dipstick, radiator cap, etc... mad) while my car sat in the driveway helplessly it was then that I began locking the hood.

First I used a chain and a lock...primitive and hard to undue as I hid the lock underneath out of site, then I decided to use a set of Mr Gasket hood pin locks.

These work great but are very hard to set-up, took me like 4 hours to get them perfect as they got to be level, dead on, and the right height so they turn easily with the key.

Bill

mrg-1472.jpg

Guest caddycarlo

so everyone has just done basic chain it down or locking hood pins ? I was kind of hopeing someone had modified a latch .....I have started work on mine and it looks good so far but then I just started ..... I cannot make up my mind if I should do electric or cable .... lokar makes a nice cable with handle but I do have remote door locks with a extra button I could use for the hood ..... what are anyone elses thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest caddycarlo

battery is in the trunk so no problem there ..... but I did deside to do cable and now have the lokcar trunk release cable but it does not have the same end as a hood release cable so I might have to change ends ...... will look at it more tomarrow ....... if it works is anyone intrested in a step by step how to or is that a waist of my time ?