383 or Big Block

201fireman

I am looking for more so I started working up plans to up my 355 to a forged 383 to push the 500HP mark.  While I was looking up AFR heads and a rotating kit, my buddy asked why I don't just go to a big block.  It totally got me thinking but I am not sure what the better option would be. Any thoughts or experiences?

Another question. If I go with a 383, will a 2 bolt support 500HP or would you go to a 4 bolt block or drill my current one to a 4 bolt?

A 2 bolt big block or small block will take 500hp. 

Do you have a big block? If not, added expense.

New headers, pulleys, brackets, plug wires etc. Possible new exhaust depending on what you have now. 

Trans? 350? 400? Big block- highly recommend th400. 

383 is a very nice engine.can make great power and depending on the other things, can be cheaper.

496- stroked big block= torque monster! 

All depends on your budget and your plan for the car. Cruiser, street/strip, etc. 

• Like 1

Decide your goals.

Lots of power in a 383. If you are not going to turn it hard your stock block with main studs should work. You should have the mains line honed with new studs.

You will have to clearance the block at the pan rails. The oil pan will need to replaced with a 400 or aftermarket  pan. The assembly will need to be balanced with a 400 balancer and ring gear. You probably will not need to worry about it but with real high lift cams you need to check clearance between the lobes and connecting rods.I figure that you are planning a cruiser so keep the compression in check, aluminum heads will help don't go with giant ports. Retrofit roller cam would be good.

A big block really fills up that engine bay!  You need to figure all the accessory drives will have to be sourced, not a lot of that stuff left in junk yards.

But I love big blocks!

I've thought of changing my 355 to a 383 stroker, since I have a given 427BBC to me,(was a blower motor) that's what is going in mine. keeping it old school (.550" lift cam) and adding EFI with a built turbo 350 and 3:73 gears( bolt -in ford 9"). Had this set-up in a '72 Nova way back in '84 ,and just had a great time in that car for some time. Of coarse it had 4:10 gears with 12" wide,(tubbed)31" tall treaded dirt car tires on it for traction. back then N.C. was pretty lenient on tires. I believe the 3:73 gear will give me a little better street manners. 383's are quite the torque motor and are a good fit for our "big" cars. remember you also have to not the bottom of the cylinders for the rods to clear. You can go different on the heads too.AFR are expensive. just go with 64cc chamber with 2.020" /1.600" valves. make sure they are stainless valve and have hardened exhaust seats for unleaded fuel. Performer RPM intake and 750 will work well.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg 

I had a small block 400 in my 1970 that I enjoyed for almost 200k miles. It finally gave up the ghost and I swapped over to a 454 and never looked back. The 400 had excellent torque and was a lot of fun but the torque from the 454 was light years ahead. If you do decide to swap your best bet is to get one from a truck. The brackets will be the same and if it's a 2wd you can use the 400 transmission also. You will need a different input shaft for the driveshaft because the truck uses a bolt in shaft. Denny's driveshafts makes them. You will also need to shorten the driveshaft. The holes are in the frame for when you slide the same transmission cross member back for the longer 400 transmission.  The frame mounts are the same. You will need a larger radiator. Having said all of that the 383 has been built for years and there are many recipes out there for the power level that you want. 

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, I ended up selling my SBC and getting a 489 big block.  Now the work begins.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

1. I will swap the front springs out. Can I just order springs for a 72 big block Monte (Hotchkis 1916F) and they will fit right in where my small block springs were?

2. Same with headers, just get BBC 454 headers for a BBC monte and they should fit? Any preference on them?

2. I need a 168 tooth flywheel. Any suggestions on an average one?

3. I will have a million other questions but my mind is all over now lol!

Ok, congratulations to the move to big block! The 489 will have goobs of torque! 

Depends on how your springs are. A/c small block springs are similar to big block non a/c springs. So that is up to you. I would put the engine in with the springs you have and go from there. 

I have the hooker super comp headers on my 496. This version of the big block likes to breathe! I believe my primaries are 2inch with 3 1/2 collectors. Some will say the tubes are too big and you will lose torque. Don't worry, you will have soooooo much you won't ever notice. 

As far as flexplate, I would go with an sfi approved one from a company like ATI. Again, alot of torque, you want to do this once. 

Keep the questions coming. Lolol

Ok, what do you have for fuel? Mechanical pump or electric?

What about cooling system? What do you have?  I have electric fans but had a mechanical pump for my small block but the big block came with a brand new Meziere electric pump and a very nice polished serpentine pulley kit both still in boxes.

I have a Holley mechanical fuel pump painted as not to let some people know what it is.

4 core stock radiator with 7 blade fan with heavy duty clutch, 160 degree thermostat and stock big block fan shroud. Never has seen over 180. Even hot lapping 4x at the drag strip in 90 degree weather.

Has stock pulleys and v-belts. 

IMG_20190928_174700.jpg

IMG_1954.JPG

I'm late to the party but i'll add my .02 for the direction i'm going in.  As Tom mentioned for headers, I was told if your pushing over 500 HP you should go with 2" primaries and never look back. If you do a search for headers in the forum you'll see what some people got and the pro's and cons of their installs. I'm going with a mechanical fuel pump, its a personal preference for me. Same with cooling, I want the original look so i'm keeping all the stock parts and pieces. Of course a little easier on my side as I started with a 454 under the hood. 

Good luck on your swap and keep us updated. Ive picked up a ton of information from this group and learned a bunch just reading others posts from members on their projects.

Can a th350 live behind a big block? Sure, for a little while anyway. Lol I would personally pick up the tci th400. I have used them in the past with no issues and the price is good. 

Yes A Turbo 350 will hold up behind a Big Block,(550HP or less). It just has to be built right,(added clutches in drums) high vane front pump. Had one in a Nova , better 1st gear than the Turbo 400. Gets a jump on your competition.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, transmission cooler and radiator... I got a TCI TH400 trans. Can I get an aftermarket cooler and just use that instead of the cooler in the radiator? Also, whats a good radiator to get for the 489? I have a stock radiator (for a small block because that is what I took out). 

I Have mine running thru both. never had an issue with temp. even with the higher stall converter. a good 4 row or aluminum will be fine. 7 blade fan and in side the tunnel will give you good air flow. I have a wide 7 blade (flex) fan on mine with a 4 row radiator. all set for the big block. just have to change the tunnel out for the big block motor.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

I also have my trans fluid running through the radiator first then the aftermarket cooler. 

Running stock bb radiator and 7 blade factory clutch fan. Never sees over 180 degrees. 

Depends on the look you are going for as to what parts to use.