Air Cleaner

Hello everyone, just a quick question. Is the air cleaner for the 71, 454 the same as the 72, 454? I am not asking about the decals, just the air cleaner. I don"t see any parts #s on the air cleaners any where. I have a few, they all look the same but some have stickers saying 454, 365 hp so i know that"s a 71. Others that look the same do not have stickers, so i can't tell. Just want to put the correct 72, 454 on the car.

Thanks

Hey guys, does the number on the sticker tell me if the air cleaner is older, or just different size motor?

IMG_1282.JPG.77ef6ba1923279334628c5d8e84d98a0.JPG

I have these 2 and i dont know what one to restore?

IMG_1283.JPG.371e39cb3891a31a81544621f8167915.JPG

this one with number 6487536 or

IMG_1284.JPG.bc0d02d353b94e9c936af2229e18573e.JPG

this one with 6484668?

To put this in

IMG_1285.JPG.201a17f3b18f9e8ea6ee8193c3625241.JPG

What do you guys think???

Willie, there is a difference with the snorkles also between a 454 car, 402 and small block cars. All have differences. 714024speed just explained this difference to me yesterday. I will try to get him to chime in. 

Thanks Tom and Kevin, I have what you are showing me in the pics. Both of mine are the same in my pic. 

I also have a smaller round snoot on the shelf i knew that wasn't it.

But what is the difference for a 402 air cleaner, from what is in our pics? or are the 454 and the 402 air cleaners the same?

Also the sticker part numbers tell us what? I need to restore one of these air cleaners, what one?

Thanks Again

• Like 1

I'll get a pic of the 402 air cleaner I have as soon as I can. It is different from both a small block and a 454. Both of yours look like 454 air cleaners ,so just pick the best one and restore it. The sticker will tell you what engine and trans and type of emmisions control it goes to.

Willie, on the stickers you showed us up top the Two Letter on each one need to match each other and Yours dont. the Two letter will also match your Carb and the Decal that goes on the Rad top plate. The white one there will say the size of the engine lets say 454 and then right by that 454 there will be Two letters. Those need to match the Carb and Air Cleaner and the Stickers on it. They are the Letter codes associated with the State/Province that the Monte was made in for Emissions Laws. They took into consideration the Laws and Air levels or what they refer to as Sea Level. those states/provinces that differ in height elevation had different emission laws, of course Cali has there way over the top laws hence Smog control devices on some of our cars..... So your CQ and DK dont match...

Darren

3 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Darren, do you know where a guy can find the correct replacement labels?

Hi Paul, I went into our Muscle Car shop here in town Called Classic Performance who orders from opgi and the parts place inc and Classic Industries stateside and went through the Stickers with them on the computer. We could see the stickers and each Code of Letters on them so we got the correct ones..... It just really helps when you walk in and state what you are after right down to Letters stateing the emissions code and they seem to help you no issues as you know what your talking about and are specific. as I have seen them just sell decals in any fashion if you dont state the code.... they wont be able to tell you what code you need, you have to tell them what ones you are after. so if you have the rad plate decal or original carb still then you are set...

Darren

• Like 1

Hey Kevin, anytime you and Tom are leaving your island onto my island give me a call, i am here.

Darren your knowledge is invaluable. 

This club is blessed to have all of you guys. I for one thank you all!!!

As Darren stated the original rad tag

IMG_1287.JPG.7a1729ce617b0490f25d07bd3b30f0e4.JPG

Stating the LX and then there is the build sheetIMG_1288.JPG.46315e2e69bd8d76478541ee57ff5226.JPG

I know its hard to read but it is LX. And i bought this at Carlisle and

IMG_1289.JPG.5980924fcec9b5fe593202dc2f6d0e53.JPG

Now i just have to change the air cleaner sticker, it is incorrect.

Thank you again guys.

• Like 1

Darren, that is very helpful. I checked my built sheet and the code for the air cleaner is CN and the engine tune label is AW. I don't see a box on the build sheet that has emission label on it.  I need to check the car because it may have the wrong label on the core support. Willie are these codes all I have to give Jack??? 

4 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

Darren, that is very helpful. I checked my built sheet and the code for the air cleaner is CN and the engine tune label is AW. I don't see a box on the build sheet that has emission label on it.  I need to check the car because it may have the wrong label on the core support. Willie are these codes all I have to give Jack??? 

Hey Paul, Box 91 on your Build sheet should be the emissions Code Box. and yes over the years and different owners sometimes the Rad top plate gets switched out for another one that looks nicer or newer, not realizing the code changed

Darren

Yes the decal is missing on the car. My build sheet is at my office so I will double check that box in the morning. When I find the code I just call Jack the decal guy and give him the codes and he can look up the correct decals? 

12 hours ago, 1970mcss said:

I checked my build sheet, box 91 on my sheet is whl cvrs. I have box 104 that shows tune label. I don't think the 70 had a emissions box. Can someone confirm this? Or would Jack know? 

Yes sorry Paul.... 1970 the box was 104 and called Engine Tune Label..

Darren

• 8 months later...

I was just looking at old topics and read this.  WOW have I got a lot to learn.  But the good thing is my emission decal matches my build sheet. AU code. Now to find a correct air cleaner for a 71 454. The search is on