Drilled and slotted rotors?

I have gone back and forth with this, looked at several videos and talked to a few people on this and cant really come up with any real good reasons to make the change or to just leave original. The brake system is all stock now, disc up front drum on rear. Not having any problems but was thinking about upgrading the rotors. Any advise from anyone that has done this? I do have to change the lug studs because I replaced the wheels and want a little more stud sticking so was thinking about upgrading as long as its apart.

Years ago, brake pads outgassed and F1 cars were experiencing "pad float" where the gasses pushed against the rotors. Holes in the rotors cured it.

Today's pads don't suffer outgassing due to better compounds and adhesives. Holes in the rotors now only serve to lighten them-which reduces the rotor's ability to absorb heat.

All my rotors are solid.

I changed my rotors and brake pads to Power Stop brand. I had just put all new brakes rotor, pads, calipers and all of the hardware on the rears 3 years ago. NAPA's supposed best and we would clean up the wheels drive 15 minutes to the car show and have to re clean everything. The 72 stops better now than it ever has since I bought it 8 years ago and no brake pad residue on the wheels.. I think the kit was a Z 26 kit because of the performance factor and they were not that much more. It was the middle of the road kit and seems to perform very well. You do have to follow their break-in protocols. They do smell until they are set which the break in takes care of. 

Can't speak for slotted rotors on our cars.

I can speak for power stop pads on my 2010 Sierra with and without slotted and drilled rotors.

With just the pads on stock rotors the truck stopped better. I then added the drilled and slotted rotors and WOW! What a night and day difference. Stops great in traffic and while towing now. Was ok stock, much better now! 

I have been thinking of adding drilled and slotted front rotors to my Monte Carlo. (The red 70) lolol

I like the slotted rotors better than drilled and slotted, but they are hard to find. I have aftermarket Wilwood brakes on the front of mine. It is a lot lighter package. I do notice a difference between solid and drilled and slotted on tracks with short shutdowns. I have seen cracks radiating from the drilled area. that is probably from me putting a lot of heat into a cold rotor.

For the street a good pad and coated rotor to prevent rust should be fine

Hi Steve, Just put on new drilled and slotted rotors,EBC(red) pads, tubular upper and lower control arms, larger sway bars(UMIperformance). I have not gotten thru break-in on pads yet, driven 2 times since the redo. I think I'm going like the brakes though, just a little pressure and your stopping alright! original stuff on since '05.post-259-0-61935100-1474727657_thumb.jpg