Monte runs like crap

duvall172

9 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

Alright great. I'd suggest you complete the ignition tune up, cap, rotor, points, check  & set dwell and timing and maybe wires if you think they're old and "iffy". If you have a decent spark during cranking, the coil is fine.

Consider one of the electronic pickup systems to replace the point system and a more powerful oil filled canister ignition coil. Pertronix makes good stuff. This all adds reliability, smoothness and throttle response.

Absolutely will do what you suggest, Paul. I really do appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, imr said:

it does sound like a spark issue. idles ok then misses on load. 

4 hours ago, Leghome said:

My small block ran like crap when I bought the car in 2011. My son in-law and I played with it for over a year. One weekend we  were at his house I got pissed and pulled the carb.  It was a Holley dual line and after looking at it closely the base of the carb was warped thus causing it to not want to run at slower speeds and on take off. When you punched it it fell flat on it face and dag nied died. Went to AutoZone and bought an Elderbrock 1406 stuck it on and it ran like a pickle seeder after we replumbed the fuel and vacuum lines. From the sounds of your description it very well could be a vacuum leak but like others have said that is not the only possibility. Good luck on your search for a quick and inexpensive fix especially after all the time and money already spent. 

I appreciate your input. Any idea where I can get a good, accurate, legible vacuum hose diagram for my engine? I have service manuals and a factory assembly manual, but neither really show much. 

4 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

There's no way I'm the only one who doesn't know how a pickle seeder runs. :confused:

Before tonight, I’d never even heard the words pickle seeder in my life. And I’m from the South. 🤷🏻‍♂️

16 hours ago, Michael Boyte said:

A pickle seeder, would be someone who puts themselves into an awkward situation.

Hence , I'm in a real pickle.

This is the first thing I thought..... "being in a pickle" would be a bad thing but I wanted to be sure. Growing up in the south I heard MANY odd sayings such as "cute as a bugs ear" or "I'm 'fixing to go there" and so on but I never heard of the term "pickle seeder" so I turned to the internet so verify so what I found must be true.  If you go to this link you will see that something "running like a pickle seeder" is something that is running well.  Here is the link:  https://www.waywordradio.org/running-like-a-pickle-seeder/

rob