TH350 Shifter Cable adjustment

monte70z20

Hoping everyone had a good summer.  I'm  having difficulty with the adjustment of my shifter cable.  Car is a 70 with a '93 454 out of a Chevy SS pickup truck.  I am trying to adjust the shifter cable and I can't get enough adjustment out of the cable to get the floor shifter to go into L1 and L2.  If I had to estimate, I would say there needs to be about another inch and a half more adjustment in the cable.  It is stopping at drive.  I bought the car with this setup and I'm just getting it on the road now so not sure what is original (i.e.floor shifter vs. column) or if the engine swap required a new shifter cable.  As always, thanks in advance for any advice.

Not a silly question except that I can't answer how it was before because I bought the car not road worthy so I was not able to drive it except for in and out of the garage and it wasn't shifting correctly back then.  No build sheet to compare what is original versus swapped out.  I'll compare shifters as I do have one from a previous TH350 Monte.  I can try to take some pictures of the brackets and cable and post later as well as I wouldn't know what to look for to see if they are correct.  Thanks.

Take some pics and let's see what you have. Also, there should be a nut/adjustment on the end of the cable down by the transmission. Slotted bracket. Although if you have park-n-d in correct locations that probably is not the problem. 

Just a heads up, all the shifters are the same no matter what transmission the car came with. The piece on the shifter with the detent is all the same. Some people think that they are different, but actually they are not. Be sure that the shifter is mounted to the trans hump in the correct location.

Sorry it took so long for pictures.  Hope they show a good visual of my cable setup from under the car.  Also is there any adjustment in the shifter itself? I don't have a lift in my garage but if there is another view that would help, I can try to capture it.

DSC_3264.thumb.JPG.775809a0729657ec2c50e26932bbff53.JPG

DSC_3273.thumb.JPG.f46f266eaacfbc35db9e34ca13c232a6.JPG

DSC_3281.thumb.JPG.dd310d985b81e52e6dfb982e7af7a993.JPG

It looks to me as if the bracket is in the wrong place. I’m no where close to my one of my cars to provide a picture. But the bracket on my cars bolt to the bottom side of the pan not between the pan and body of the trans. If it’s mounted in the wrong place it could be using the wrong bolts to hold it to the trans.

• Like 1

Looking at some Assembly Manual Diagrams it looks like some brackets mount on the side of the tranny and some off the pan.  I'm not familiar with RPO codes:

RPO M35 mounts to pan ( I think this is Powerglide)

RPO M38 mounts to side of tranny and looks like my setup - Automatic Transmission but unsure if TH400 or TH350

RPO M40 mounts to pan - Automatic Transmission but unsure if TH400 or TH350

M38 is the 350 and M40 is the 400 trans. I have seen both the side mount and the pan mount brackets on the 350.

The 400 I have only seen the pan mount. You cannot use a 350 pan bracket on a 400 and vise versa. The mounting holes  to the pans are different.

I'm would start  with disconnecting the cable from the transmission at the adjustment bolt. Make sure the shifter moves to all gear locations. If all good there, you know the shifter is ok. Then with the shifter in park and the trans in park I would see where the cable locates compared to the adjustment nut. If off, adjust as needed. 

Also, if you want , you could also check with the shifter in low position  and put the transmission in low and see where the cable end winds up. The arm on the transmission could be incorrect for your application.

Hope this gives you an idea where to start. Good luck. 

Will do as suggested.  I also noticed that as you (MC1of80) stated in the previous post above there is some adjustment where the cable connects inside the car at the shifter.  I loosened this bolt and did get some more travel that may solve the problem.  As soon as I resolve the issue I will post what the solution was.  May take me a week or two.  Thanks everyone for your help.

Before I could get to figuring out the cable adjustment I blew the 350 (slipping and fluid smells burnt).  My question is can I take a TH400 from a later model truck and put it in the Monte?  I have a 400 with a bolt on yoke so also want to know if I can just swap the bolt on yoke for a slip on type?  The 400 I have is a short tail.  From all the previous posts above I understand I will need the correct shift cable bracket as well.  Hope I've provided enough information.

The 400 will bolt right in. You will have to move the crossmember back, towards the rear, to the holes that work with the 400. You will need the correct floor shifter brackets. The cable is the same. You will need a slip th400 yolk. Most likely a "trick" ujoint. The cap sizes and dimensions are different. You may need to get the driveshaft shortened from what I have heard. I've done many conversions and have not yet. But letting you know. 

Yes you can use the truck trans, just unbolt the yolk that is there. I have the same trans in my 70 SS.  After having it rebuilt. No issues.

Also, if you want the kickdown feature, you will have to get a switch, stock or aftermarket for the 400. It's electrically activated as opposed to the 350s cable. 

Thanks for the info.  I've put a 400 in a previous Monte and recall the crossmember move, trick u-joint and I had the driveshaft shortened.  Glad to hear I can use the truck tranny I have.  I'll have to locate a slip on yolk hopefully locally.

Make sure it's a short yolk. A long one will obviously be too long and bottom out.

Summit, jegs, any Monte/Chevelle vendor and even junk yard/ auto recycler may have it. 

Maybe even a local transmission shop. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I wanted to reopen this discussion as I'm still having issues with shifting.  I put the TH400 in and switched my detent plate for the Dan's, True Slap TS3.  No matter how much I adjust the little cam at the shifter, I either lose Park or I can't get past drive, and also my key is really stiff/sticky to turn (If I don't physically move it back after started it just sticks and starts to grind the starter (not good at all!).  I've had a couple of others try to adjust the shifter/cable and I'm having the same issue.  I was told the cable is too short.  In this initial post I was having the same issue with the TH350 and the factory shifter detent plate so I know it is not the detent plate.  My questions:

Anybody had this issue before?

If the cable is too short is it possible the car came with a Powerglide transmission?

What length cable came with the TH350 with console?  e.g. 30" or 32"

Anybody know of an adjustable cable that would work?  e.g. Shifterworks K100-32 or Shifterworks K100-30

As always, I appreciate any insight/opinions offered.

If memory serves me correctly, the cables are the same length for the th400 and th350 console cars. The difference is the distance where it mounts on the bracket on the transmission. Th400 and th350 brackets are different.

The sticking ignition is another, different problem. Is it a tilt column? Most likely a sticky ignition switch. Not the key switch, the one on the lower column with the rod from the key switch going into it. 

I think I managed to sort out the shifting issue.  Will keep testing to see if all is good.  As for the ignition...it is not a tilt column.  I did replace the switch a while ago but didn't notice it sticking until I swapped out the transmission and mucked around with the rod(s) that connect from the transmission up to the steering column.  Could that be the issue?

3 hours ago, monte70z20 said:

I think I managed to sort out the shifting issue.  Will keep testing to see if all is good.  As for the ignition...it is not a tilt column.  I did replace the switch a while ago but didn't notice it sticking until I swapped out the transmission and mucked around with the rod(s) that connect from the transmission up to the steering column.  Could that be the issue?

If the collar on the column is going back to “home” position that would keep you from being able to shift out of park. As far as I know it shouldn’t affect the ignition switch. See if you can turn the collar a little by hand( top of collar turning toward the driver door. Do that with car in park and not running. If you can move it then check the switch. 

I checked the collar and there is no movement there.  It does rotate when I shift through the gears.  It all looks good from that perspective.  I'm going to drop the steering column next weekend and check to see if the rod going to the ignition is bent or if anything else looks out of wack there.