Fuel Cell with factory Fuel Gauge

Jared Richey

Well my reproduction fuel tank has sprung a second leak in my car and it's only been in for 10 years so instead of going back with a factory tank I'm looking to install a fuel cell in the trunk.

I want to know how to go about making the factory fuel gauge work with the fuel cell.  also to anyone who has already done this would you recommend a 16 gallon or 20 gallon? I already have my battery in the trunk but I only use this car for local driving and occasional fun runs at the track.

Jared,

Do you have a true firewall between the trunk and the seat. There is a requirement for one with the cell in the trunk. I think the battery need to be in a can. You can get a sending unit for most cells with GM values. You will have to take the foam out of the cell for the sending unit.

• 1 month later...

I was just thinking about this and thought I posted about it.

I would like to buy a tank with no foam if possible. Also does anyone know the correct sender to get for the tank so my factory fuel gauge will work like Mike said?

as far as a firewall situation it's just stock in between the back seat and the trunk.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...