Importing monte from U.S to Canada.

Just wondering if anyone can simplify this process for me im a bit confused.

Thanks!

P.s - Car will be without motor on trailer if that makes a difference. Also will the car need to be transferred into my name first? 

I believe you have no choice but to use a broker now. You used to be able to do it all yourself which I did back in 2008.

As for transferring it into your name you need to do that at an Autoplan agent once it is in BC. I have not looked up recent rules but it used to be that you could not register it into your name until it had a safety inspection which clearly an unfinished project would not pass. The rules may have changed now on this though as I heard the Specialty Vehicle Association of BC was lobbying for a change allowing unfinished cars to be registered. I suggest you go to an Autoplan agent and discuss with them.

It depends what you are doing with the car. If it is just for parts, with no motor and is in-op, you can just bring it across the line. You will never be able to register it in Canada as it is a parts car at this point.

If you want to register the car, (drive train or not) you need to hire a broker in the US. If you need a contact shoot me a PM and I will forward you the number of a great broker to deal with this. Cost is around $135.00 USD.

When you purchase the car the seller will have to get the title notarized that he/she is selling to you. I also get a bill of sale signed and notarized at the same time. This then goes to the broker and they will need a couple of days to process and forward to US border security. US border security then  require 72 hours notice before the vehicle can cross the border. They check for liens etc. 

It is a little bit of work, but not impossible. 

• Like 1