SS 454 Kansas car.. Restoration Portfolio

Jared Richey

Correct. Passenger side

Body off as of last Thursday. I've ordered all new lines.

I have an insanely low budget to do this thing. Let's see what happens. :)

IMG_20191013_180511478.jpg

IMG_20191013_180520058.jpg

IMG_20191013_180528465.jpg

• Like 1

New gas and brake lines front to back.

The brake lines are inline tube, gas line is right stuff. Both seem made very well.

Hopefully setting the body back within a couple of weeks. 

IMG_20191015_173804629.jpg

IMG_20191015_173809252.jpg

• Like 1

Body body is back on the frame. Still have to buy a few more bolts to bolt it down completely.

I'm using grade 8 bolts and they didn't have enough at Lowe's.

IMG_20191026_134516187.jpg

IMG_20191026_134345393.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good!

Do they have any 'Tractor Supply'  stores out near you? They have a pretty good selection of Grade 8 bolts there.

Just for grins, I looked near Belton, SC. Shows one about 11 miles from you in Anderson?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/store-locator?zipCode=&state=SC&city=Belton&fullState=&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&returnStoreLocatorUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tractorsupply.com%2F

Jared, I hope you were able to clean up the underside of the body and paint it.  It would be a shame to put it back on what looks like a recently painted frame.... Plus get rid of that rust on the A-arm.

rob

• Like 1

Cheapest bolt place here is the local White Jones Ace hardware but with that being said they was just very little difference in the price I will look next time I'm in tractor supply to see how their prices compare to White Jones.

I epoxied underneath as best as I could. I'll do more to make sure everything looks good touch up with a spray can. I never have spent to much time on the an undercarriage. Cleaning and no dirt or oil residue is my biggest pet peeves. Some detail every suspension component...although it looks great it's just impractical for the type of cars I build. 

2 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

Cheapest bolt place here is the local White Jones Ace hardware but with that being said they was just very little difference in the price I will look next time I'm in tractor supply to see how their prices compare to White Jones.

I epoxied underneath as best as I could. I'll do more to make sure everything looks good touch up with a spray can. I never have spent to much time on the an undercarriage. Cleaning and no dirt or oil residue is my biggest pet peeves. Some detail every suspension component...although it looks great it's just impractical for the type of cars I build. 

Jared, I was asking that because if I was looking for a "restored" car I would want to see everything touched, not just what is visible.  This may just be me but when I look at a car that the seller says is "restored" and see they only restored what was showing I can't help but wonder if they didn't pay attention to these non easily visible areas is it possible they have cut corners in other areas when it came to the restoration.  

Again, maybe that is just me and don't take this the wrong way, I am not saying you are cutting corners in other areas I am just expressing how I would look at a "RESTORED" car.  For one being done the way you are doing that one to me would be more of a refreshed car and not restored.

rob

• Like 2

On 10/11/2019 at 6:39 PM, Jared Richey said:

Struck gold on this rear end its a 331 code. 1970

Body is off the frame.already have the interior lined up to be done in a few months. Will be special ordering red door panels.

No I try and not waste any time the faster I get it fixed a quicker it can be put on the market

IMG_20191010_191000662.jpg

IMG_20191010_175624183_HDR.jpg

That my friend that is gold to an LS6 guy. A CRV December 8th 1st shift Buffalo rear is worth a ton on an early LS6 car.

Low miles 454. ,  the fellow I bought it from went ahead and Done the cam swap, timing gear, , oil pump intake etc.

The valve covers are original from that era, not reproduction. 

4 bolt main 1980s 454.. they sell a certain cam combo to make these peanut Port heads really wake up along with the intake. 

since the drivetrain was not original anyway this was the most affordable way to go.

IMG_20191111_164323372.jpg

IMG_20191111_164317333.jpg

• Like 3

Blasted and Clean!

Thanks Michael Moore from Dustless Blasting of SC. 

It was a crisp day here in Anderson, with the sun beaming down and just above 40 degrees. 

He dry blasted everything this time, I think what I'll have from now on. Not such a mess.

IMG_20191113_140011507.jpg

IMG_20191113_170211512.jpg

IMG_20191113_170155549.jpg

• Like 2

The custom order  1970 Chevrolet RED door panels  and vinyl material were ordered today. door panels are a custom order will be the 1970 red but stamped in the Monte Carlo pattern. $40 upcharge per part 

9 hours ago, Jared Richey said:

The custom order  1970 Chevrolet RED door panels  and vinyl material were ordered today. door panels are a custom order will be the 1970 red but stamped in the Monte Carlo pattern. $40 upcharge per part 

Jarod,  who did you order the panels from?   Jeff in n.j..