SS 454 Kansas car.. Restoration Portfolio

Jared Richey

• 2 weeks later...

Went ahead and moved the car into my other garage to get the drivetrain/ wiring installed. Hopefully I can time it just right and knock out the body and paint early part of 2020.

"Ain't no bondo in this car"

Hahaha

Said no straight paint job ever.

Bodywork started on loose panels with 3M filler.

This thing will take shape in a hurry once it moves under its own power . VINTAGE AIR is on order.  

20191216_182943.jpg

20191216_182937.jpg

• Like 1

That 3M body is some of the easiest filler I have ever worked with. With careful spreading no sandpaper over 80 grit is used by me or the shop where I first seen the 3M filler

Epoxy over the completed bodywork.  2k after lunch

Got lucky this week and 60 degree temps.

Always something to go back and fix but after the first round of wet sand Blocking 2k you know where you stand. 

This ppg commercial epoxy (EPX 901  EPX 908) is great. It dries when its still cool temps.. Only cost $140 kit (2 gallon sprayable, 1:1) been using it for a several years now. Its epoxy, its sealer. Its great stuff.

Long re coat time without scuffing too

20191226_115439.jpg

20191226_115436.jpg

• Like 1

Going to muffler shop this week hopefully 

Got to go pick up Vintage Air. Hope to have it running by the end of the month.  Bodywork half way well actually over halfway, all the bolt on parts in high build primer already. 

The key to finishing this car for Carlisle will be the next 3 months. Very critical time period.  Car must be painted and allowed time to cure without rushing the cutting and buffing process. Buffing will be absolute last thing.

Learned  My lesson the hard way cutting and buffing these cars right after a paint job.

Blocking. Coming out nicely. 

Got to re wipe a little on the fender.  Sanded smooth and feels smooth but when you look at it with the water you see ripples where I stuck the orange tape .

20200106_175546.jpg

20200106_175542.jpg

20200106_175537.jpg

• Like 1

At the front end shop now. Then rearend leak getting fixed.  Pick up Vintage Air next week  

Exhaust pics at the Historic McGlees Garage  now Troy's Muffler.

FB_IMG_1578625530643.jpg

FB_IMG_1578625526751.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I'm back from my trip I can get back on this car along with my customer work.

Fully plan on finishing...  But if anyone is intrested in the car that sees this I will sell it and finish it to YOUR color specs. And you still would be in the mid 30s on your investment. 

Otherwise enjoy the stretch run! Carlisle hopeful

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...