SS 454 Kansas car.. Restoration Portfolio

Jared Richey

Besides having the bolstered foam kit this interior will look exactly as if Chevrolet would have done it RED in a Monte in 1970. 

I've seen Monte's with a red interior but none that will be done this way.. the actual correct 1970 what if way.

New quarter windows in

Trunk spattered

V AC ready for hose crimp.

Bunch of other stuff installed lol 

Dash ready to be installed.

Seats are all covered, ordered new tires and wheels last night. 

20200506_200638.jpg

20200506_200647.jpg

20200506_200653.jpg

20200506_200659.jpg

• Like 2

I am kind of curious why you changed the original interior color to a non original color on an original SS 454 car? I get the fact that your engine is not the correct one, but wouldn't you want to build the car as close as possible to how it came new? Are you also going with custom wheels?

• Like 1

I would expect there would be quite a few numbers matching SS-454s out there complete with build sheets, that has had a color change both on exterior and interior without affecting the value while still maintaining rally wheels. Also quite a few have gone to the 8-in rally which I may be wrong but I do not believe was even offered as an option. I have always said if it belongs to you and it's your money do it the way you want !    

A fine example would be Steve Levante's custom 402 4 speed ,  non-factory ( custom) options tastefully done and the price went through the roof

• Like 1

I love whatJared has done to his car. Awesome build. I have a 3 70 SS 454 cars. One is a red slick top car with Corvette Rally’s. Back in the day that was the way to go and it still is in my opinion. I have a very nice 72 with 7 inch Rally’s and white pinstripe tires. It looks like it just rolled off the transporter. A local guy used to buy and sell Monte Carlos all through the 70s and the 80s and he would buy 8 inch Corvette Wheels at the dealership for $50 a piece and swap on the original bands and centers. It made the cars sell for a lot more money. These cars have increased in value, however what Jared has done could be reversed if necessary. I love these cars in Black, Red, andWhite. Unfortunately most are Earth tones like Green, Gold, and Brown. I owned a  70 402 4 speed that was originally Gold but had been color changed to Black and had a GMPP 454 in it along with Corvette Rally’s. That car got more attention than a naked woman! I can appreciate a bone stock car or a slightly modified car. I wish I had the drive thatJared has to work on my other 2 project SS 454 cars. 

• Like 1

To answer a few questions...

The color is original.  Black.. No Vinyl.. Even if it were a numbers match.. it would have still gotten red inside 

Adding red interior will only make this car probably worth $5-10k more not less. 

Wheels: I'm 28 years old but to me the only wheel is a 15x8 Silver Corvette rally.  Let's be real here these muscle cars looked like grandma mobiles from the factory with their 14" SS Wheels on Chevelles. Montes were better with rallys but 15x7 is just still lacking something.

Interior will be completely factory design 1970.

20200509_191117.jpg

20200509_191127.jpg

• Like 1

Another thing that's been ditched is the pain in the rear end always leaking down, air shocks. The leveling compressor will be for looks only.

If I build I build or own a Monte it's going to definitely  have 3 things

15x8 Rallys with a stance, Bumper Guards, and Beltline Trim.

Also my cars will always retain their original style radio... steering wheel..Interior design and Gauges.  This goes for anything I own.   I Never understood from toddler age..changing the most beautiful interior ever offered in an automobile from 1955-1960.

So gorgeous that people use dashes and styles from this era in later year model fully customized builds.

• 2 weeks later...

Built like a keeper... but it will probably find a home eventually. I have 3 others.

But for now its one of the family and a vision of mine  fulfilled from years ago.

After my little stop at the gas station and got back home the threads in the fuel line going into the carb discovered are sure enough stripped as I was warned.. started leaking so it's at the carbshop now getting threads fixed..

I believe that screw up can be blamed on me in a hurry trying to get the engine running back in the winter. Smh

Man, That is lookin' good Jared. That interior is going to make it look custom.Just asking, what do think horsepower wise is the motor? Does it have the 3:31 rear axle gear? I thought you would put redlines on it for the look...... post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg 

Dropped off last Thursday to finish interior.  Little nervous because I  need to drive and have time to work out the bugs. 

Supposed to be done on Tuesday.. clock is ticking. Nervous 😓 

We are going to The Rescheduled Pigeon Forge Rod Run in a couple of weeks...so time is getting short. 

With going to PF losing 4 days..I have only 19 days to prepare the car for the trip. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pick up tomorrow.  After my Rod Run trip to pigeon forge this weekend.. I have a week to get the bugs worked out. We leave Wednesday in 2 weeks for the meet