restoring my console

willie

Hello everyone, i am restoring my console and the person i got the car from had put 3 holes in it for a mic holder.(cb).

Question is what do we use to fill the holes so i can paint over it?  There is also a bracket split so i have to glue that back together, so what should i use to do this?

Thanks

Like Paul, I was also going to recommend JB Weld.  

A friend of ours from Eastern Pennsylvania whose son was in Pittsburgh had an old Saturn car.  It was leaking anti-freeze from the block.  They asked for our help.  We met up with them after I talked with an auto repair shop friend.  My auto repair shop friend suggested draining the anti-freeze from the car, de-grease the area of the crack in the block and then wire brush the area followed by steel wool and then cleaning the area with alcohol or something similar that will evaporate quickly followed by applying covering the cracked area with JB Weld.  We did this and then rented a tow dolly and we towed the car as far as Breezewood, Pa.  Breezewood is about 3 hours from Pittsburgh when towing a car through the mountains.  Once we got there we refilled the cooling system with new anti-freeze and started the car up and there were no leaks.  

They drove that car at least 3 more years with no further leaks.

JB Weld gets very hard and can be kneaded and formed and once it sets up it can be drilled.  It is good stuff.

rob

For the bracket repair you'll want to cut a piece of sheetmetal to cover the repair area. Make it at least 2" long, if possible. Sand the metal and the plastic with 120 or coarser, and then epoxy it over or under the break. It'll be a much stronger repair that way. 

Dan 

Hey Tom, i looked at Summit, (the only place i can find SEM) i cant find interior black. Do you remember the number. They have Satin black, Gloss black, and a Landau black, but i do not see interior black.

Thanks

I use SEM Landau Black 15013 on many interior parts. It looks fantastic. The SEM Satin Black # is 15243 and the SEM Gloss Black # is 15233. All three of these paints are flexible and can be used on interior parts.

I used satin black on mine and it looks fine. I also have a second console I repaired with sheet metal pieces that I used a polyurethane adhesive, I believe made by Loctite, and small screws. I can post pictures of the repair when I get console out of attic if you wish.

John S

I have used SEM trim black on all of my refinished interior pieces. My car at one time had a tan/sandlewood interior and one of the previous owners used satin black and did a rather poor job, at least in my opinion, so when I got my new Legendary Interior I redid everything with the SEM trim black that I did not replace. It looks great and is holding up well