BB Headers

DragCat

Ok so I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row before the engine swap. I did a search through the forum for headers and came up with 2 possibilities, Dougs D313 and American Racing Headers. I had hoped to re-use my factory exhaust manifolds but ARH told me probably not since the crate probably has "D" exhaust ports. Anyway as most of you know ARH are a tad more pricey, but everything I read there were no "mods" needed and no need to move or shield the proportioning valve. One thing that impressed me was they answer emails on saturday and they make a Monte specific header. Anyway just throwing this out there if someone has an alternate opinion or experience. I will start a engine swap thread when I get started, have learned a lot from the Hemmings article on their Chevelle swap. Not apples to apples but a ton of good info. 

Mark,    I  have a 71 BB.  Ive been running Patriot headers they fit  but they hang kinda low. I  believe quite a few people here rung the  Dougs D313. I  tried them hoping they wouldn't be as low as the Patriots. I had an issue with the Dougs D313 on the passenger side. Ya passenger side ... The one pipe was hitting the Hump on the frame. I can tell you with the Patriots and probably with the dougs IF they would work on yours they may be too close to the Proportioning valve.   I have not heard of anyone running the ARH, but would love to know how they fit.  Have some pics of the Patriots and the Dougs side by side if your interested.   Good Luck !!

Thanks Alan. I had read about hanging low, proportioning valve issues between different makes. The only downside I ever saw (when I did a forum search on headers) re ARH was the price lol. Since i'm dropping in a 502 crate I didn't want to hear "it should work" on fitment. Ive been working with Nick at ARH directly so thats gives me more of a comfort level. I'll let ya'll know. 

I have Flowtechs on my 70 Chevelle that fit extremely well. On my 71 Monte I decided PAIN was the best route.  Hokker Super Comps. Changing number eight plug with AC is basically impossible, and when you do find a tiny handed contortionist friend, it still has to be an Accel header shorty plug. Both have Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, you know, because I live to drone!

• 1 month later...

I went with Hookers on my 454 as well. I hate them. The $400 chinese price is soon forgotten when you stare at the crap finish every day. I have aluminum heads so I cant comment on stock fit exactly. I did have to use the grinder a lot on the flanges so they would clear the head bolts. I will never go with hooker again. Regarding the proportioning valve, i took the sharp corner off it with the grinder and gained some clearance, but still had to dent the header a hair. And my steering shaft hits the  #3 and 5 pipes. All around horrific. I would love to throw in some stainless instead of these crap ceramics. Does anyone know if you can do that with the engine in place? That drivers side is a mother otherwise. I laid it in before the engine went in.

Thx, was just curious. My car came with those, looked pretty old. Definitely a problem for the distribution valve. The prior owners simply unbolted it and bent it out of the way, crappy solution.

I also have a set of Super Comps from the old Monte I had. Driver side fit real good in that regard, pass side sits a little low though. I ended up cutting a couple of the tubes and tucking them up a bit for better ground clearance with some tube I had laying around, but wasn't the easiest solution. Those ARH headers Mark mentioned at the top are looking pretty good though.

• Like 1

I did order the ARH's, i'll update when I install them. One thing I will say for them, they built them when I ordered them. Joe told me to pull the body off the frame to install its a bunch easier. :rolleyes: Since he already volunteered to do the body removal I set up a cot for him in the garage :no

Hey Mark, years ago there were few choices and I went with Hooker Super Comps. I forget what the issue was but I had to have them modified, which was done by George Kryssing “Papa Kook” in his home shop, well before he started Kooks Headers. RIP George. 😟

Point being, our Monte Carlos are somehow different than a Chevelle and all headers on the market for our cars are for Chevelles-except the offering from American Racing Headers. I know some fit decent but I went with 2" primaries and I want the very best for this one time purchase. (well OK, one time purchase every 25 years...)

There's a guy here who runs them, they fit good and have good ground clearance. ARH makes them to order and they need the exhaust port shape and size and your collector size.

I have a set on order. As I'm within driving distance, I'll pick them up at ARH, I've been there before.

22 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Joe told me to pull the body off the frame to install its a bunch easier. :rolleyes:

I don't think this is needed. Ya gotta get the car up pretty high and of course, the starter needs to be removed. Mine will be easier, I just need to lay the headers in place before I drop the engine back in.

• Like 1

Hey Paul, yes they asked for my port shape but didn't ask my collector size. I did 2" primaries also, Nick told me since the crate is rated 508HP to go with 2". I know the ARH are a little pricier than some other brands but shouldn't need any mods. Nick also said if they don't fit send'm back and he'll refund my whole price. I figured I would try and install at the same time as dropping in the engine if possible. The quick jack I bought has been a savior working on the car, 

The body off the frame comment was sarcasm/joke for Joe. He's been busting my chops about not doing enough to my MC. 

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

The body off the frame comment was sarcasm/joke for Joe. He's been busting my chops about not doing enough to my MC

It's certainly not that, I just think 'misery loves company' and I isn't exactly happy right now, lol.

I have a buddy that lives in Melbourne, FL. It'll be a good excuse to pop in there as well to visit. Let's plan for some time when it's still cold up here, it's a nice 24 degrees right now....does now work for you?

BTW, what kind of lead time is ARH telling you guys for the headers?

Oh, Paul, 100% agree on the super comps, had to modify the upper part of the tubes years ago (late 1980's) because they didn't fit the Monte frame properly. Still remember taking a hack saw to a $300 (then) set of headers and thinking wth. Think it was a part number 2217. Long before I had a MIG or TIG machine, had to gas weld it with an oxy-acet. torch....good times. Got the pipe needed from dumpster diving at a local muffler shop on a Sunday night, they had a lot of new pipe with bends, they must have screwed up a lot, lol

Oh NO Sir, i'm going to plan sometime around July/August so you too can experience working in a garage with no a/c in the middle of summer here lol. Its not that miserable working like today in the 70's. The a/c hasn't kicked on in the house this week with "our" cold front lol. 

I don't remember the exact order to  build to deliver time on mine, was a couple of weeks. They sure look purrrrty . 

Oh, I've experienced a hot shop in the summer, don't like it. A few years ago I was welding up a lot of aluminum at the time, got so pissed I called up & had a/c put in the shop, best thing I ever did out there. Even though I was in the hot attic with the installers helping to run the line set, it was worth it in the long run. One of those, "why didn't I do this years ago" things.

Good on the fab time for the headers, I may still go that route, was just hoping it wasn't something like 2 months or the like. Did you test fit them at all with the motor that's in the car to get a half assed idea if they fit well?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2019 at 7:49 PM, jft69z said:

Oh, I've experienced a hot shop in the summer, don't like it. A few years ago I was welding up a lot of aluminum at the time, got so pissed I called up & had a/c put in the shop, best thing I ever did out there. Even though I was in the hot attic with the installers helping to run the line set, it was worth it in the long run. One of those, "why didn't I do this years ago" things.

Good on the fab time for the headers, I may still go that route, was just hoping it wasn't something like 2 months or the like. Did you test fit them at all with the motor that's in the car to get a half assed idea if they fit well?

No I didn't test fit them yet, still sitting in the box in my family room 🤣I figured I'd wait. 

8 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

I'm sure like most headers they can be but you'll need to get the front of the car up pretty high.

I know I had trouble getting the d/s exhaust manifold out without lifting the car up. Probably me just being over cautious trying not to smash the proprtioning valve or the kick down wire harness, slid right out with the car up 

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

No I didn't test fit them yet, still sitting in the box in my family room 🤣I figured I'd wait. 

If you do test fit them, let me know.

Yeah, my kitchen, dining room, upstairs bedroom, computer room, entire cellar & pretty much the entire office in the shop is full of parts, catalogs, schematics, etc., lol.

15 minutes ago, jft69z said:

If you do test fit them, let me know.

Yeah, my kitchen, dining room, upstairs bedroom, computer room, entire cellar & pretty much the entire office in the shop is full of parts, catalogs, schematics, etc., lol.

If I get a chance I will. You might be better informed waiting for Paul to install his since i'm just basically looking at a stripped down block in the engine compartment.

A buddy of mine came over yesterday to help me get the hood off (its now sitting in my family room) so we can hoist the old out when the crate motor gets here. He wanted to see the headers and laughed at the engine cradle sitting under the dinning room table. It must be a car guy thing cause he laughed, your house looks just like mine, parts everywhere 😎

So I made the mistake of looking at the ARH website again....spoke to Mike there. Seems like he recommends the 2" as well with the LS6 and trans/rear diff ratio I'll be using. Also mentioned I'll be needing an O2 sensor bung which he said 'no problem'. I asked about their return policy as "someone" had brought it up, lol. He said 20% restock fee, no scratches, etc.

Right now they have a 10% off sale 'til the end of the year....gives me a few more days to kick the idea around. (see what you guys have done?, bad influences, hahaha)

3 hours ago, jft69z said:

So I made the mistake of looking at the ARH website again....spoke to Mike there. Seems like he recommends the 2" as well with the LS6 and trans/rear diff ratio I'll be using. Also mentioned I'll be needing an O2 sensor bung which he said 'no problem'. I asked about their return policy as "someone" had brought it up, lol. He said 20% restock fee, no scratches, etc.

Right now they have a 10% off sale 'til the end of the year....gives me a few more days to kick the idea around. (see what you guys have done?, bad influences, hahaha)

Awww c'mon, blow the cob webs off that check book and getcha some 😀 and even 10% off. Earlier in the thread Jeff form NJ said he has some on his 496 1970 with no issues.