BB Headers

DragCat

I wasn't made aware of any starter issues when I bought my ARH's in 2016. I used my original Chevrolet starter and have had no problems at all. I also left the brake combination valve in the factory location. Again, zero issues with it. 

Dan

• 3 weeks later...

Paul, I mocked up the plenum box real quick & it looks like no big deal. Not easy, but not impossible either. I have a couple of different swivel sockets that work, so you may have to try something like that. My plugs are the smaller 5/8" variety. Header primary size is 1 7/8". (spark plugs are just broken off stubs I use for block painting). I'm sure it'll suck even more when the front end is all assembled.

20200318_175149.jpg

20200318_180029.jpg

20200318_175328.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped the crate in today, The driver side header was difficult  because I didnt cut the existing exhaust pipes back far enough and between that and the trans sitting under the car in the tunnel I was having clearance issues lol. We set the driver side in place sorta while we were dropping in the crate. Looks like plenty of room on the passenger side  for the install but i'm glad Paul brought up the #8 spark plug issue and Joe add'd his work around. My next step is to cut the exhaust back some more and drop in the passenger side and bolt them in. I'll post an update and pic's when I get that done should be this week for sure. 

• Like 1

Installed the headers yesterday, the passenger side would not go in through the top but slid in nice from the bottom and bolted right in. The driver side was a PITA and i still have 2 header bolts fighting me not wanting to play well. I will have to do something with the proportioning valve as its basically laying against the header. I should have the starter and trans linkage and stuff addressed this weekend hopefully no issues there with clearance and such. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2020 at 6:13 PM, jft69z said:

Paul, I mocked up the plenum box real quick & it looks like no big deal. Not easy, but not impossible either. I have a couple of different swivel sockets that work, so you may have to try something like that. My plugs are the smaller 5/8" variety. Header primary size is 1 7/8". (spark plugs are just broken off stubs I use for block painting). I'm sure it'll suck even more when the front end is all assembled.

20200318_175149.jpg

20200318_180029.jpg

20200318_175328.jpg

Hey Joe, or Paul, have either of you had an issue with the #4 spark plug access ? Either I need a special plug socket or i'm going to have to remove the header to tighten # 4. 

5 minutes ago, Paul Bell said:

Hey Mark, my engine is still out so I'm pretty far off from knowing this answer.

#4 plug is the second one back, the furthest back is #8.

Ok Paul, thanks for both posts. Maybe Joe has a fix/work around. And yes #8 is closest to the firewall and #2 is the 2nd back from the front. I haven't made it to the drivers side yet. 

Lol Paul, yes its #4 cylinder plug, and its the second plug back from the front #2 plug. My mind was working faster than my typing fingers. At least I got it right in my original question/post lol

No issues here for the # 4 plug. Straight shot basically, & I just tried it with the same socket I pictured earlier (top one of the two shown)

5 minutes ago, jft69z said:

No issues here for the # 4 plug. Straight shot basically, & I just tried it with the same socket I pictured earlier (top one of the two shown)

Ok maybe I need a smaller socket lol. Mine looks a little chubbier than your lol 

Socket.jpg

12 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Ok maybe I need a smaller socket lol. Mine looks a little chubbier than your lol 

As long as I get it off, who cares, lol

But really, my socket is actually part of the universal joint. Still, shouldn't make a difference. But....I just noticed your socket is 13/16", my heads take the 5/8" plugs. Are you having trouble even getting the socket on the plug? Maybe a little bit of work with a die grinder or a half round file to open up that flange pocket may help if that's the case.

3 minutes ago, jft69z said:

As long as I get it off, who cares, lol

But really, my socket is actually part of the universal joint. Still, shouldn't make a difference. But....I just noticed your socket is 13/16", my heads take the 5/8" plugs.

Yea my socket is from a different set than the "wobble" and extensions. The socket alone won't clear the header pipe to grab the plug. 

What exactly is the issue then? The socket won't go completely onto the plug (either with or without a universal or extension), or are you having a problem with the angle of attack.

12 hours ago, jft69z said:

What exactly is the issue then? The socket won't go completely onto the plug (either with or without a universal or extension), or are you having a problem with the angle of attack.

I'm gonna say the angle of attack, the socket alone will not pass the header pipe to slide down onto the spark plug to tighten it. 

Do you think opening up this part of the header flange a bit with a file or die grinder will help the socket slide in better (this is a different cylinder, # 6 I believe, but you get the point). It won't have any effect on strength or sealing if you just radius that sharp edge maybe, to get a better angle for the socket to slide in.

That, or try a dedicated 'spark plug' socket that's shorter than what appears to maybe be a regular deep well socket? I bet that'll make all the difference you need, especially with the narrowed area where the hex end is on the socket. That will probably allow it to slide right in there without any mods to the header flange.

A quick search shows that style everywhere, Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Amazon has some with a swivel end as well if you look a little. Shop from home, 'social distancing', lol

https://www.amazon.com/13-16-spark-plug-socket/s?k=13+16+spark+plug+socket

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-Standard-SAE-3-8-in-Drive-6-point-13-16-in-Spark-Plug-Socket/1000594061

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-3-8-in-Drive-13-16-in-Spark-Plug-Socket-H3DSPSKT1316/202913555

header.jpg

20200415_080435.jpg

Thanks for the info I'll try Lowes today the web says they have 1 in stock. I have to return my buddies engine hoist and there is a Lowes down the street. I usually prefer HD but they are making people stand in line outside the store (not complaining) and I can social distance myself in the tool section with my mask and gloves. Of course I have the 5/8 specific spark plug socket lol. I think that should address the clearance, its just a bit to beefy 

4.jpg

I have a collection of spark plug sockets, some specialty, some custom modified by me. I also have the advantage of aftermarket heads that use 5/8 drive spark plugs.

My old Hooker headers made #8 impossible to get to.  It looks like the ARH are better, time will tell.

Some FYI. Did you know from about the late 60s on up the big block Chevy head (stock) can accept both style of spark plugs. The 13/16 with the metal gasket and the more common 5/8 tapered seat plug. Just look at the spark plugs seat to make sure. 

1 hour ago, MC1of80 said:

Some FYI. Did you know from about the late 60s on up the big block Chevy head (stock) can accept both style of spark plugs. The 13/16 with the metal gasket and the more common 5/8 tapered seat plug. Just look at the spark plugs seat to make sure. 

This is absolutely correct. Trying to figure out why the big plugs are in there in the first place.  I'd put simple Delco R45TS in it. 

To dig out number 4, find a plug socket with the 7/8 nut on the end and wrench it out. Unless those are 65-67 big block heads, skip the big plugs.