BB Headers

DragCat

5 hours ago, DragCat said:

Awww c'mon, blow the cob webs off that check book and getcha some 😀 and even 10% off. Earlier in the thread Jeff form NJ said he has some on his 496 1970 with no issues. 

Lol, there's certainly no dust blowing around in my wallet (maybe hollow echo's by now, but not cobwebs)!

I did a search for ARH here and it seems everyone is happy. Did see some odd things though. The set Dan (overdrive) has are 1 7/8" but look substantially different from the set on ARH's website.

Completely different on both sides. Another picture somewhere showed the passenger side tube goes right over the frame rail. Can you shoot a few pics of what they just sent you? Thx Mark!

https://americanracingheaders.com/collections/monte-carlo/products/monte-carlo-ss-454-1970-1972-headers

• Like 1

Ok, i'll try and unbox them and post a few pic's this weekend. I looked at the pic's Dan/overdrive  posted and maybe you were right, a frame off would have been a lot easier for the engine swap 🤣 Just a reminder, ARH builds theirs per order so the pictured ones may not reflect your specifics. Also, ARH doesn't include header gaskets, at least they didn't with me. 

Yeah, the pictures certainly are different than the website, but maybe they're just a generic type of picture too. I wasn't really aware of the difference until I got a better look at Dan's after talking to ARH yesterday.

I'll wait to see what yours look like and go from there. Either way, it sounds like they fit well so there should be no issues. Looks like the driver side is a lot closer to the brake valve than my Hooker Super Comps, but not right on it like the regular Hooker Comps.

It's still pretty cold here, so if you want....I'll come down next week, look at the headers & pop the body off the frame too...Easy!

8 hours ago, jft69z said:

Yeah, the pictures certainly are different than the website, but maybe they're just a generic type of picture too. I wasn't really aware of the difference until I got a better look at Dan's after talking to ARH yesterday.

I'll wait to see what yours look like and go from there. Either way, it sounds like they fit well so there should be no issues. Looks like the driver side is a lot closer to the brake valve than my Hooker Super Comps, but not right on it like the regular Hooker Comps.

It's still pretty cold here, so if you want....I'll come down next week, look at the headers & pop the body off the frame too...Easy!

I was able to get one side out of the box without having to re-arrange another set of boxes 😮 

If I had the crate engine sitting in the garage I might have taken you up on your offer 😎

Looks like we may get another cooler front but its been overcast the last 2 days 

DSF.jpg

DSB.jpg

My ARH headers are 1 7/8" and fit great, but I had the body off when I installed them. There's easy access to the oil filter and the factory starter. I've had zero heating issues with the combination valve for the brakes, and it's still located in the factory position on the frame. The only issue I found was when I was going to reinstall the back drive linkage from the TH400 to the steering column. The headers don't have the needed clearance for that. I plan to modify the linkage, but haven't gotten to it, yet. It's not really necessary to have it. Here are some pics I haven't posted before. 

Dan

20191218_145453.jpg

20191218_145519.jpg

20191218_145546.jpg

20191218_145601.jpg

20191218_162252.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, overdrive said:

20160217_171229.jpg

20160217_173548.jpg

Great pics Dan, thanks for posting. What linkage are you speaking of ( " reinstall the back drive linkage from the TH400 to the steering column" ) ? I also have a TH400 trans and am on the low end of the learning curve 

So those are very different from the ARH website, especially in regards to the driver side. No big deal I guess, as long as they fit.

Dan, as far as the back drive linkage, it won't work for me without mods anyways due to the trans being a 4L85E. Something I'll address down the road, but I saw Summit has some universal ones that can be made to fit, supposedly. They do tuck up pretty nice as far as road clearance. Any issues with spark plug access on the pass. side due to the A/C? I plan to put that back in the car, but haven't even mocked it up with the Hooker headers yet, probably in a few days after I finish the fuel lines.

Mark, I think Dan's referring to the linkage that ties in at the transmission linkage, pivots and goes up to the tab on your steering column to operate the 'PRNDL' indicator & column mounted neutral safety switch.

Thank you both!

Oh, and Mark...it's 13 degrees right now, I'm sure your 'cooler front' is much nicer than that. I'll sent you my itinerary so you can get me from the airport!

• Like 1

You guys are killing me. My set MIGHT be ready before Christmas.

BUT I get to pick them up at the plant!

Dan, I love how nicely tucked up to the floor yours are. My Hookers were lower than the trans pan. Mine will be slightly higher because the AFR heads I'm using have raised exhaust ports.

• Like 1

The back drive linkage is used with the floor shifted automatics to turn the collar on the steering column to keep the shifter from being moved out of Park when the key is off, and lock the steering wheel. 

On floor shifted cars, the gear indicator is on the console lid, and the neutral safety switch is inside the console.

Access to the plugs is not an issue. 

Dan

• Like 1

Also to what overdrive stated, the back drive is the same for column shifted cars also.

On the floor shift cars it's mostly to lock the column in the park position, even tho it's a floor shift, so you can remove the ignition key and lock the steering wheel. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i'll have to crawl up under the Monte and get a visual for that. I have a floor console automatic, I haven't pulled the trans yet so i'll eyeball the linkage.

Joe, do you have a part # for the summit work around? 

These are what I had saved in my Summit Wish List. The CLP one I found in an article in a magazine recently, but it looks like Summit has their own brand (costs more too). I'll probably look into the CLP one when the time comes, it it's even possible for my application. The shifter is set back a lot further on the 4L85 trans in relation to the frame mounted bracket for the pivot point, which is why the stock one isn't going to be an easy fit.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpt-sl

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-760007?rrec=true

Looks like Lokar makes them too, also at Summit.

• Like 1

So I called today to order the headers, talked to a different person today, Sal. He's suggesting 1 7/8" headers as opposed to his partner last week who said 2". Car is basically going to keep the 454 LS6 motor with the 4.11 gears in the back. He's saying the smaller tubes would be good up to approx. 800 hp. That exact engine/rear diff had plenty of torque and power with the Hooker 2" Super Comps in the old car. Any thoughts?

That's what I was thinking Tom. The Holley EFI would top out at 600 hp though, so even trying to future proof it by getting the big headers, the EFI might then be the limiting factor. I still have a little time to think it over and change the order I imagine with the holidays. He said about 3 weeks. Thx for the input!

The owner, Nick will be there tomorrow. I'll see what he has to say & go from there.

4 hours ago, jft69z said:

That's what I was thinking Tom. The Holley EFI would top out at 600 hp though, so even trying to future proof it by getting the big headers, the EFI might then be the limiting factor. I still have a little time to think it over and change the order I imagine with the holidays. He said about 3 weeks. Thx for the input!

The owner, Nick will be there tomorrow. I'll see what he has to say & go from there.

Hey Joe, all my conversations were with Nick and when I told him my setup he said go with the 2" primaries which is what I did. If I remember correctly he said anything over 500HP go with the 2". Glad we were able to convince you to get yourself an x-mas present 😁

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Hey Joe, all my conversations were with Nick and when I told him my setup he said go with the 2" primaries which is what I did. If I remember correctly he said anything over 500HP go with the 2". Glad we were able to convince you to get yourself an x-mas present 😁

Yeah Mark, I asked for Nick this afternoon after re-reading the post and saw you dealt with him. He was fairly active on the Corvette Forum too, figured it's worth a shot to see what he says. Realistically, I don't plan to do anything much to that engine, maybe a hydraulic cam down the road to get rid of the solid lifter LS6 one that came with the motor. It was a strong runner though from what I remember, never lost a race (back in the young & stupid days, lol).

Seems like everyday is Christmas this whole year, at least that's what the UPS & Fedex drivers will tell you :grin:. The GF asked what I want this year, then she laughed and said, " oh yeah, every day is Christmas for you". Lucky I got a good one (finally) who doesn't complain about this car thing we do. (had one years ago that told me " you need to get rid of some of those cars". Told her "those cars will be here long after you're gone". I still have the Camaro... miss her sometimes though, lol)

I saw in a different post Paul got his pistons. 

I didn't get my x-mas present to myself yet but its still an x-mas present for ME ! 😆

My UPS driver is one of my neighbors, he saw the Monte getting unloaded when it was delivered and laughed, guess i'll be stopping by your house a lot again 😁

Merry Christmas to all 

Tell your neighbor you're providing him job security, lol.

Tried calling ARH today, apparently Nick took the day off, I'll try again Thursday or Friday.

Happy holidays to all!

Just spoke with Nick at ARH. After a good conversation, he suggested sticking with the 1 7/8" based on the fact I'm not going to be drag racing the car, mostly city street driving, etc. The one thing that I wasn't aware of, they won't work with a stock sized starter motor. Not sure if he told you guys that, but he suggested a "XS powermaster" unit. I was going to simply use a GM hi-torque one, but now will be looking for the mini one. Also said he'd try to bump up the production schedule for me. Nice guy it seemed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Just spoke with Nick at ARH. After a good conversation, he suggested sticking with the 1 7/8" based on the fact I'm not going to be drag racing the car, mostly city street driving, etc. The one thing that I wasn't aware of, they won't work with a stock sized starter motor. Not sure if he told you guys that, but he suggested a "XS powermaster" unit. I was going to simply use a GM hi-torque one, but now will be looking for the mini one. Also said he'd try to bump up the production schedule for me. Nice guy it seemed.

Interesting about the starter, we didn't speak of it but my crate comes with a mini starter so maybe thats why. Nice he's going to try and expedite your order. When you order your starter make sure you get one with the right bolt pattern 🤣 speaking from experience I am 😯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragCat said:

Interesting about the starter, we didn't speak of it but my crate comes with a mini starter so maybe thats why. Nice he's going to try and expedite your order. When you order your starter make sure you get one with the right bolt pattern 🤣 speaking from experience I am 😯

I tried the mini starter on my Camaro a couple of years ago, wouldn't fit with the Hooker Super Comps no matter how I clocked it. That one bolted up to the 454 in that car fine. Got it from NAPA at the time, but it went back and a old style hi-torque went in. That's why I just picked a duplicate new NAPA one up last week for the Monte, guess it's going back now too. I'll wait 'til the new headers get here, and go from there. He mentioned a part number 9500 maybe for the powermaster, looked it up, says Chevy with 168 tooth ring gear. Smaller than even the mini starter I tried before. They also have a staggered bolt pattern version, 9526.