Tire Dressing

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Hey all,

Spent the past few days cleaning my tires.  I am finding using Tire Dressing (at least the one I am using) does not remove easily with a Tire Cleaning product or by Washing vigorously.

I use Mothers Back To Black to Dress Tires and when I attempted to clean, that Dressing required a wire brush to get the residue & (browning) off the Tires.  Now when I initially applied the Dressing, I don't think I spent much time prior cleaning the Tires, at least not near as thoroughly as I have this time.  I think I had applied approx. (3) applications with only mild tire cleaning in between applications.  Was wondering what experiences (successes, failures) you all have had using a Tire Dressing product.  I am of the opinion each time applied, that Dressing has to be thoroughly cleaned from the Tires to avoid that Browning and easier to clean when not applying layers of Dressing?

If your Product and the Methods used get you the results and ease of use you expect, looking for those suggestions.

Appreciate your thoughts, :)

Doug 

Every time I wash the car I scrub the tires with Fantastic and a brush. It keeps the letters white and the tires never get brown. I am careful to scrub and rinse quickly not letting the fantastic dry on the tire as it is not good for rubber/plastic. know many don’t like Armour All but I put a light dressing of it on the tire using a sponge. I spray the sponge and wipe the sponge on the tire to apply the dressing.

I use the McGuire tire and rubber cleaner, it don't make them to shiny just looks like new rubber. I do clean them with spray nine or 409 maybe once a year to keep the letters as white as possible. Its easy and quick just spray it on and wipe off, I have a designated cotton towel for tires only.

This summer I thought I would try a POR15 product. It works great, not to shiny and I have not noticed any browning of the tires. It has lasted longer than any other dressing that I have tried.

Well, I think I finally removed all the Old Tire Dressing film from the tires.  If this is what I have looking forward to at the next tire cleaning, I will be looking for another product.  As I said earlier, I am sure my initial tire cleaning prior to applying Tire Dressing 1st time caused me more work than would have (I hope).  Prior to next Car Show next year, I will apply this Product once more using a deliberately measured amount evenly/'sparingly and then evaluate the result(s) moving forward. 

Sounds like you guys have a proven method that are comfortable with and I am taking note of it.  I decided to 1st see that Tires are spotless and my measured application makes cleaning a breeze or will use your suggestions in part or in whole.

Appreciated................

Doug

I have used "Fantastic" to clean my tires for years.  It does a good job to remove the old tire dressing and I immediately rinse the Fantastic spray cleaner off as soon as I scrub them.  I follow up the Fantastic with Bleche White tire cleaner or some other good cleaner for the white walls or white letters.  Another thing that works well on the white walls is a Mr. Clean Pad/sponge.

I think it was Tony who suggested using a sponge to apply the tire dressing.  This is also what I do.  To me, when you spray the tire dressing directly onto the rubber it tends to go to the wheels, trim rings and the ground around the tire.  I spray the tire dressing directly onto the sponge and use the sponge to apply the tire dressing.  You can get these sponges many places.  Here is a link where you can see what they look like.  They work well and don't put near as much tire dressing onto things.  Using this method does a great job.

Link to what these sponges look like.  https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHTO_enUS572US598&ei=mvuwXfuJEIHL_QaG_LqgDg&q=tire+dressing+sponge&oq=tire+dressing+sponge&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0j0i22i30l2.175988.181070..183874...4.2..1.166.2400.32j1......0....1..gws-wiz.....6..0i71j0i13j0i13i5i30j0i8i13i30j0i362i308i154i357j0i67j0i131.36OYuKUlhoc&ved=0ahUKEwj7vprZ3LPlAhWBZd8KHQa-DuQQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

Okay, 2 fans use Fantastic and that sounds like an excellent alternative for what I have tried.  As I said earlier, I won't be doing any significant driving until near Car Show time and will apply Dressing at that time.  Also, as clean as the Tires are right now, maybe none will be needed.

All GREAT suggestions and is much appreciated..................

Doug

Westly's Bleach white and a good heavy bristle brush to clean off with(remove trim rings and center caps) then 409 or fantastic to clean up the red lines. I apply some mother's tire clean and they look great for a long time.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Boyte said:

We use nothing but JAX WAX products.

Start with their Super Citrus cleaner  followed

With  sponged on SUPER BLUE !!

ON TO THE SHOW !!!!!

0916151731a.jpg

IMG_20150412_104151.jpg

As always Michael, your car looks Amazing.

rob

• Like 1

A few pic's showing where I'm at now.  1st 3 show what I'm after while the last one where I'm trying to remove staining.  I will attempt using the Fantastic Spray On (careful during application and using sponge to apply lightly) when I go back over again.  If that doesn't get it ALL of, back to the wire brushing.  Where I had gotten it appears all off, don't think a Dressing would be needed but likely needing done again prior to the next Car Show without the Dressing.

The JAX Products look promising and Micheal, your Car looks Incredible. B)

Again, lots of practical advise and will use it eagerly............

Doug

20191024_103811.jpg

20191024_104312.jpg

20191024_104322.jpg

20191024_103946.jpg

• Like 1