Under Hood Insulation and Insulation Clips

When I first bought my Monte I installed a new under hood insulation pad.  My Monte is a 70 and the original clips that held the pad in position were square metal.  My new insulation came with plastic holding clips so I used them, not knowing they were not correct for 1970 Monte's.  Somewhere along the way I lost my original clips with the exception of one that I had used on the insulation pad I installed back then because there were not enough of the plastic ones that came with the pad.

Over the years the pad I installed back in 2001 or 2002 became very dirty from the air conditioning compressor slinging oil and it also got torn.  Today I got a late 45th anniversary gift from Patsy.  An new Under Hood Insulation Pad and new original style metal clips.

These new metal clips are exact duplicates of the original ones.  In the pictures below you will see the 1 original clip I still had next to the new reproduction clips.  

I hurried up to the garage and removed the old insulation pad and installed the new pad and clips.

rob

New hood insulation with new hood right clips.jpgNew hood insulation with new clips.jpg70 Hood Insulation Clips Old and New 3.jpg20191024_14275270 Hood Insulation Clips Old and New 2.jpg70 Hood Insulation Clips Old and New 1.jpg

i got my insulation with plastic clips and got some old clips from Konic and i reblued them. i wasnt sure how thenrepo metal ones looked. Now i know for the next monte

Antoine,

I would be hard pressed to find anyone that could find any differences in the original clips and the reproductions.  The clips were either $30 or $32.  Those were the prices for the insulation and clips but I don't know which was which.

rob

38 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Antoine,

I would be hard pressed to find anyone that could find any differences in the original clips and the reproductions.  The clips were either $30 or $32.  Those were the prices for the insulation and clips but I don't know which was which.

rob

i saw some listed for $35. i know for nextime. i paid that much for used ones. They do look original

Looking very nice under the hood there Rob, when do you think you can do mine? I have left mine off for the time being. I'm on the fence about putting a new one on. I still have it in the bag from Lutty's.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

Jim, I'm sure you know, it is a quick and easy job.  We can do it together on the Show field in Carlisle or in the hotel parking lot in June at the Eastern Meet.

rob

• 2 weeks later...

That looks good. My '70 had the round plastic fasteners when I got it 11 years ago. The insulation was long gone, but the fasteners were still in place. I believe both types of fasteners are correct for 1970. 

Dan

1)  protects the hood painted surface from engine heat.

2  )decorative---it his what many consider under hood reinforcement braces.

It comes down to personal preference and how original you want it to be

rob