Engine Opinions Wanted ...

Mike Brichta

Ok, here is the situation.  I recently purchased a 70 SS El Camino which I am going to bring back to life and save from the crusher.  The car is a true SS 396 car and has the numbers matching drivetrain.  The previous owner had done some engine work but I don't have any receipts to know what they did.  In addition, the car was stored outside and water got into the engine.  When I pulled the intake and heads, the pistons had standing water in them.  The pistons and valves look new but have rust on them.  It looks like the pistons say .060 on them.  The motors turns but would have to be completely pulled apart and gone over/rebuilt again.  Choices are:

- Rebuild the original 396 engine as stock and put back into the car.  Cost unknown?  Thinking around $5,000 to $6,000?

- Rebuild the original engine make make some upgrades (aluminum heads, roller cam, etc.).  Cost unknown? Thinking $6,000 to $7,500?

- Store original engine as is and purchase a crate motor to put into the car.  Cost unknown?  Probably GM ZZ6 Deluxe turn key engine (with EFI).  Cost around $8,000?

What would you do?  I'm leaning towards option #3.

Thanks!!
MikePA060693.thumb.JPG.a386b7a5138e1da0d5a0056e48fc06ee.JPG

PA080696.JPG

PA080698.JPG

PA080699.JPG

Number 3! It was an original BB car though, any thoughts to a ZZ427 or ZZ454?

This should be fun! Nice score there Mike.

I change my vote to # 4 then, lol

When you start getting prices, the guy I got my GMPP transmission from gave me a good discount from all the other published prices. I called a few GMPP dealers, and he was the only one that even offered. If you google "gm performance parts", he is the first place that pops up as well....gmperformancemotor.com, Jason. It's a Chevy dealer in Wisconsin, free shipping too.

Mike, for me it would depend on whether I planned to flip it or keep it. I would think option 1 would be the lowest cost AND the highest value as a numbers matching SS396 (although now 408) fully restored Elky.  Option 2 would be second choice.  However, if keeping it and budget was no concern, then option 4 would be hard to pass up.

It's a true SS, numbers matching. Option 1 !!!

If you were reading this on a Chevelle site about a numbers matching Monte Carlo SS, what would you be saying about putting a small block into it? Just saying.....

If your keeping the car what are your plans for it? Cruise in's / car shows, tooling around town i'd rebuild the original block. If you might want to flex your muscle at the track and such i'd definitely go crate motor. If you go with a crate do your research and all the possible parts and pieces you may need to purchase, they add up quick. Personaly i'd go crate carburated since I hate to have a laptop around to work on a car. 

Mike, I would stick with numbers matching all the way. that will be your best investment on return whether its a flip or keeper. It seems more and more people are moving towards oem and numbers matching. I did that with my 1970 396 elky and got lots of comments or stood back and listened to them.... Oh Man he kept it all original or glad to see its done right and so on... JMO

Darren

elky1.JPG

Hey Darren,

Thanks for posting the pic. I was actually thinking of white with a black stripe as the paint scheme. Did you use the original heads or go with aluminum heads? Also, can you put a roller cam in a BBC original engine? Did you paint or do some sort of Rhino lining in the bed. It looks black in the picture.

Thanks everyone for your honest input and ideas!!

Mike

I guess to make one of those you would have to take a Monte frame and switch it with the original one on the El Camino. Then use the Monte fenders, hood, etc.

I actually have enough parts to make one. Just saying.

18 hours ago, Mike Brichta said:

Hey Darren,

Thanks for posting the pic. I was actually thinking of white with a black stripe as the paint scheme. Did you use the original heads or go with aluminum heads? Also, can you put a roller cam in a BBC original engine? Did you paint or do some sort of Rhino lining in the bed. It looks black in the picture.

Thanks everyone for your honest input and ideas!!

Mike

Hi Mike, Retained the original heads and have heard you can use a roller cam but would need the Tall valve covers added after and would take away from the stock look. The box area was clean and left in Factory white but it had a rubber gm matt on the box floor and a matt on the tailgate so when it was down the rubber liner continued over the tailgate as well for protection. it was a custom matt as it fitted around the wheel wells and the contour of the tailgate and around the inner handle. 

Darren...

PS, would love to build an El Monte myself and also have a 70 parts car with a front clip to be able to do so..... I have had one of each year and also as you know I had a convertible monte so an El Monte would be the best final one haha..