Grounds...

gene speed

I know that montes are close close relatives with chevelles...my question is how many grounds are in a 1972 idiot light dash...cigarette lighter,3 black eyelet wires assume one goes to metal of gauge cluster, one to left side column "A" frame and one to wiper switch..last longer wire to e-brake bracket..well four..is this rule of thumb for tach dashes as well

This is my original 71 H/L switch. Some replacements don't have the same configuration. FYI

IMG_0375 (1).JPG

ok thanks so much for the pics, my car is a 72 and I spoke to Leo Konik with Koniks Klassics and he told me that the 72 monte carlos did not have the ground strap rather a brass ring coming out of the harness that lines up on the front of the headlamp switch....is this true for the 1972 year??...I have a 72...I don't have the ground strap or it's missing...otherwise I assume one ground wire goes to the wiper switch, one to the bottom of the rear cluster as pictured, one to the parking brake bracket, I never unhooked, one to the steering dash a-frame inner left side and the brass ring to the headlamp switch...should this be correct for 1972?

• 3 years later...

I have a ‘72 and do have the brass ring on the headlight switch.  I am experiencing the same problem and replaced the switch but, still no dash lights.  I will have to check the ground wire contacts to see if that’s the problem.  I appreciate reading all the comments to correct this problem and will keep watching these posts for more information.

• Like 3