Traveler

Hello from the land of pleasant living

Good morning from the Chesapeake Bay,

I finally found a 1st gen MC It’s a 1971 with 69,000 miles.  It’s not an SS but has real good bones.  It had/has some issues but I expected that from the start.  They are as follows and I would like to hear of your experiences and advice as I undertake these issues.

The 2 barrels got to go!  Since the gas tank needs a cleaning (car sat for 5 years I plan on taking the tank down for inspection and replace it if needed, at which point I may elect to make provisions to      go efi.  If I go with a Holley sniper what intake should I get, 

it has the stock ignition (points, coil...) so am I better off going GM HEI or after market (when I bought it the dwell was 12 degrees and it just so happened I still had a dwell meter and got a timing light, its amazing what going from 4 degrees after tdc  to 6 btdc will do to liven up a sbc) 

#2 cylinder has evidence of oil migration on the plugs I will pull a compression test tomorrow or later this week, if the heads need to come off should I go for a rebuild or replace, aluminum (?) I have a need a need for speed lol (a new cam as well)  I got her cheap so I have about $5k before my investment is beyond the value of the car

Front end wanders like a boat in the surf so I’m planning on rebuilding it, not sure if I’ll rebuild the stock or go tubular, your opinions are welcome 

after almost 50 years a set of new springs and shocks seems needed,

not a big fan of idiot lights thinking an SS dash would be a welcomed addition (is that possible?) any suggestions as to vendors and manufacturers would be welcomed.

Glad I found this site, those who have shared their experience and knowledge with me have always been welcome in my life.  

God bless you all.

J

Welcome! 

We would love to see photos.

When I find a nice low mile car my first step usually new shocks, springs, belts, hoses and a good cleanup. After that I start to dig into other things to make it run well (cap, rotor, etc... inexpensive stuff). I’ve owned my 70 Monte for 23 years and still run points in the distributor. I’ve really just never bothered to do the swap and I’m of the opinion “if it isn’t broke, don’t fix it”. I think if you are going with a new intake, carb, etc that it would be natural to swap out the distributor at that time to HEI. You can swap in the optional gauge cluster without much trouble.

Welcome aboard,  Mine has stock suspension and probably always will, I did change out the points and went with pertronix igniter, looks stock works better. Valve seals are a common problem with oil leak down if your going to replace heads with aluminum save the old ones just so you have them in case you want to go back to stock. As far as carb there are a lot of options it all depends on what your looking for, do your homework on that one. Good luck with it and yes we love pictures.

My 72 is basically a stock suspension with a couple of minor upgrades rear lower control arms and a sway bar. Sway bar made a huge  improvement. Under the hood it is a 350 bored .020 over with a mild roller cam and roller rockers, Elderbrock  intake and 1406 with electric choke carb, Hooker headers and electronic ignition. It runs well for my use. It has been repainted in 2013, new interior in 2015 and 17" Ridler 675 wheels with Nitto tires in 2016. The Monte is yours so do with it what you are comfortable with as I have done. It makes it truly yours and a lot more enjoyable to drive than some ones else's vision.

IMG_1006.JPG

Welcome!!! i say do to it what YOU want but save all the parts you can just in case. Good Luck the snowball starts...

Hello! Welcome to the club!

Like others have mentioned, the pertronix conversion is easy to do to get hei performance. Use the pertronix coil also. 

I have tubular front control arms on my 70 SS. EIGHHHH.  If I had to do it over I would rebuild the stock arms and still may. For the rear, I have Hotchkiss arms and sway bar. Definitely recommend! 

I got my SS gauge conversion from Sonny24 on eBay. He sells conversion kits. Look into his stuff. 

As far as engine, sounds like the seal and guides are worn. A set of aluminum heads with an Edelbrock rpm air gap intake with a 650dp if you don't go efi. 

Also check the transmission. If good, I recommend a shift kit and a 2500 stall converter.

All recommendations are for starters...... Lol

l haven’t taken any pictures yet but will post some tomorrow if possible.  Thanks for the supplier recommendations I will check them out.  Thanks for the feed back let the bank account bleeding begin lol.

J

7 hours ago, MC1of80 said:

Hello! Welcome to the club!

Like others have mentioned, the pertronix conversion is easy to do to get hei performance. Use the pertronix coil also. 

I have tubular front control arms on my 70 SS. EIGHHHH.  If I had to do it over I would rebuild the stock arms and still may. For the rear, I have Hotchkiss arms and sway bar. Definitely recommend! 

I got my SS gauge conversion from Sonny24 on eBay. He sells conversion kits. Look into his stuff. 

As far as engine, sounds like the seal and guides are worn. A set of aluminum heads with an Edelbrock rpm air gap intake with a 650dp if you don't go efi. 

Also check the transmission. If good, I recommend a shift kit and a 2500 stall converter.

All recommendations are for starters...... Lol

If you don’t mind my asking what issues do the tubular uppers and lowers create in the front end rebuild?  I’m waiting on a valve spring compressor to change the valve stem seals, hopefully it’s not guide’s as well but only cylinder #2 showed any oil issues, 20” and study manifold vacuum hopefully the guides are OK but 69000 miles who knows.

J

I have installed a few sets of tubular front control arms. The caster/camber and alignments specs are always way out. Alot of agrivation to align the car especially if there is no one around your area that can honestly do alignments properly.

That being said, I have not used the pricey control arms like global west, qa1 and the like. Could be like the old saying, you get what you pay for. 

They all look the same except for sticker and sometimes color. Look at alot of them and compare. 

I was thinking about the $300 set not the $900 set, now a days finding a true craftsman at the shops around me can be tuff, I think I will take you advice rebuild the stock up grade the rear as you suggested 

thanks

J

You will hear both pros and cons. MY findings have been passed along. I still have my stock front arms. May rebuild and reinstall at some time. 

56 minutes ago, cny first gen 71 said:

I'm not huge fan of green but shes purdy.

Green was never on my radar, good deals trump color, my 09 Z06 is velocity yellow which was not on my list either 10 years later people still complement me on the car, the MC has drawn multiple positive comments as well

thanks for the advice and replies, found the drag link(center link) and springs are worn out new ones on order.

J

Joseph, or Joe or J,

I just noticed I have not welcomed you aboard the boards.  We hope you like what you see here and decide to become a full fledged dues paying member and also, next June, bring your Monte to the 2020 Eastern Meet at the Chevrolet Nationals in Carlisle, Pa. where they are featuring  the Monte Carlo for its 50th Anniversary Celebration next June.  If interested please contact me.

rob