I have a 1972 monte, base model...my question is this, I don't remember, outside of the two circuit board holes for the ohms side and positive side, seeing a ground wire for the fuel gauge...I have two grounds and recently confirmed it one going to left side of the dash steering column a-frame and one brass ring headlamp ground outside of the parking brake mount ground, that is it and of course a body ground unrelated....is there a wire other than these that would ground the bottom pole of the fuel gauge that is suppose to be ground pole of fuel gauge, I don't remember removing one when I removed the gauge cluster for housing replacement

The fuel gauge circuit is grounded at the fuel sender in the fuel tank I believe. The ground under the dash is for the cluster itself. I don't have any 72 clusters laying around to check. 

The Fuel Gauge ground is in the Trunk of the vehicle.  You will find it near the inside rear of Trunk shelf as part of the wire loom that runs right under that inside lip of the Trunk.  It is a (if I remember) single black wire near the Trunk Lock pad and is screwed into that Pad with a star washer to secure it if still factory.  This ground is problematic if not a clean ground if in fact this is the problem you are having (trying to read your fuel gauge)?.  I have had to clean up mine on occasion.  Hop[e I am remembering correctly on this.

Doug 

Thanks to all who replied...wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something up front under that dash..I believe I have a broken sender wire...will drop tank to find out...thought I could do a quock fix..it is the price I pay for hurrying..lol

• 1 month later...

Have you already dropped your tank?  I am late getting in on this but I had a broken wire issue on mine and ran a new wire from the plug at the instrument panel overlay to the plug under the deck drip edge on the drivers side. If this is the area you are losing current it could save you dropping the tank.  I ran mine under the carpet up into the trunk area. Good luck.