LS6 Monte Carlo

Andy's Auto

• 2 years later...

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to see (in person) the Dick Harrell-modified 1970 SS454 with an LS6 engine! It is beyond rare and in immaculate condition. Tim Pestinger, long-time owner of this one-off Monte Carlo, graciously hosted myself and my son-in-law in a private showing of this and many other incredible cars owned by himself and his brother, Tom.

I was visiting my hometown, Salina, KS, yesterday afternoon and had arranged with my cousin, Greg, who is a friend of Tim, to see the rare Monte Carlo in his private collection. Much has already been written about this car and its history on this thread so I won’t repeat that, but it was really special to see it “in the flesh”!

Tim actually drives his rare Monte on occasion and says it is a joy to drive – quiet, comfortable and fast!  He has refused some outrageous cash offers and steadfastly maintains that it is not for sale.  That’s understandable when you consider some of Tim’s other cars, like his white 2017 COPO Camaro (1 of 69 built) that is never driven and his Rally Green Nova Yenko clone that he personally rebuilt from the ground up to factory specs. Tim and two of his brothers each own a 2010 Camaro Hendrick Motorsports 25th Anniversary Edition by Callaway (number 9, 10 and 11 of 25 built).

Tim and Tom Pestinger have also been greatly involved in the collaborative five-year project to create a new car museum in Salina known as The Garage.  Jay Leno was present for its Grand Opening about a year and a half ago.  Although they were technically closed while changing their quarterly feature section from Corvettes to convertibles, Tim got us in and gave us a private tour of that fascinating place. 

I think we can all be glad that one of the most unique first gen Montes ever created is in the good hands and care of Tim Pestinger.  In the past, he has featured it in one of The Garage museum’s two large rotating display platforms so it’s getting more public exposure than just sitting in a private garage.

Many thanks, Tim, for preserving and sharing your unique LS6 SS454 Monte Carlo!

IMG_0680.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

IMG_0677.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

• Like 10

Awesome!   Looks to be an early build car with the halo top and the chrome strips under the headlights. Not to mention the best color (17) to ever grace the panels of a ‘70 Monte 😎

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Awesome!   Looks to be an early build car with the halo top and the chrome strips under the headlights. Not to mention the best color (17) to ever grace the panels of a ‘70 Monte 😎

Glen the Full Halo and chrome strips below the head lights are not an indication of an early built 70 Monte.  My 70 Monte is a late built Baltimore car built in the 3rd week of June in 1970 and it has both the Full Halo and the trim under the headlights.

rob

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rob Peters said:

Glen the Full Halo and chrome strips below the head lights are not an indication of an early built 70 Monte.  My 70 Monte is a late built Baltimore car built in the 3rd week of June in 1970 and it has both the Full Halo and the trim under the headlights.

rob

Perhaps I misunderstood something I’ve read along the way then.  Literature I’ve seen referenced halo trim as being installed predominantly in “early” vinyl top applications.  Maybe it was early(ish) cars that got the halo roof trim treatment?  

One could reasonably argue that June isn’t “early”… although the strike may have something to do with these pieces still being around the plants that late into the year. 

I also recall reading that only a couple of plants used the very limited headlight trim until they were “out of it” (Baltimore and Van Nuys?)  Either way, both are considerably rare items (not options).  

Quirky stuff regardless… like - if memory serves me correctly - Van Nuys using only chrome side mirror(s) to a certain time. Correct me if I’m wrong on this… things blend together at times. 

* Fun Fact:  your Monte was built the same week I was hatched.  

PS - I see you didn’t challenge my declaration of Shadow Gray being the best color ever 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My pos 70 was also June built. Has both options. Shadow Grey would be my second choice, dark red ( maroonish) I’d by far my favorite. Thanks Dennis for the story and the great pictures. Well done. Awesome tour for sure.  👍 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Perhaps I misunderstood something I’ve read along the way then.  Literature I’ve seen referenced halo trim as being installed predominantly in “early” vinyl top applications.  Maybe it was early(ish) cars that got the halo roof trim treatment?  

One could reasonably argue that June isn’t “early”… although the strike may have something to do with these pieces still being around the plants that late into the year. 

I also recall reading that only a couple of plants used the very limited headlight trim until they were “out of it” (Baltimore and Van Nuys?)  Either way, both are considerably rare items (not options).  

Quirky stuff regardless… like - if memory serves me correctly - Van Nuys using only chrome side mirror(s) to a certain time. Correct me if I’m wrong on this… things blend together at times. 

* Fun Fact:  your Monte was built the same week I was hatched.  

PS - I see you didn’t challenge my declaration of Shadow Gray being the best color ever 😉

You are a young whipper-snapper.  

I won't argue with you regarding shadow Grey being a beautiful color.

Regarding June not being considered an early build... since production for the 70 model would end at the end of June and plants would be starting production of the 71 models, a late June 70 Monte could not be considered anything but a very late build.

rob

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dtret said:

I did notice that the steering wheel did not have the burlwood. It should have it right?

Yes, and there are a few other "personal touches" like the wheels and additional badging beyond Dick Harrell's.  I believe Tim said he was the third or fourth owner and wanted to leave it largely as it came to him.  One thing he did do was replace the tube headers with correct re-finished exhaust manifolds.  There are several Concours d'Elegance cars among the musuem contributors so they have a wealth of knowledge and an appreciation for originality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

You are a young whipper-snapper.  

I won't argue with you regarding shadow Grey being a beautiful color.

Regarding June not being considered an early build... since production for the 70 model would end at the end of June and plants would be starting production of the 71 models, a late June 70 Monte could not be considered anything but a very late build.

rob

That makes sense when I read it now.  But now you have me scratching my head trying to remember where I read about the Halo and headlight trim being on “early”  cars. If I find it I’ll share it

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Glen said:

That makes sense when I read it now.  But now you have me scratching my head trying to remember where I read about the Halo and headlight trim being on “early”  cars. If I find it I’ll share it

I have said it. Lol. My moms first and only car was a Baltimore built 70 Monte. 350 2bbl, th350, bench cloth interior. Fiber optic washer and a/c. Cranberry red, black top and interior. Full top and no under light chrome. I have the build sheet somewhere I believe. Now I have to look for it to see when it was built. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update from the 2019 post. Also read the interview. That must have been quite the honor to get a personal tour. I had heard of the car but knew nothing about it. It was a good read. I noticed the rockers were body color. Was wondering if the 70s rockers were painted satin black like the 71s and 2s. I’ve noticed on a lot of repaints that that detail is often overlooked, or did it vary from plant to plant.

3 hours ago, Marks71 said:

Thanks for the update from the 2019 post. Also read the interview. That must have been quite the honor to get a personal tour. I had heard of the car but knew nothing about it. It was a good read. I noticed the rockers were body color. Was wondering if the 70s rockers were painted satin black like the 71s and 2s. I’ve noticed on a lot of repaints that that detail is often overlooked, or did it vary from plant to plant.

One of the many documents I have for my ‘70 is a five page description of everything about the car after it was reportedly frame off restored in 2003. The guy who owned her at that time quite extensively described everything about the car to help facilitate the sale. He specifically referenced the rocker colors. So I could only speculate that it varied from plant to plant.  Following is what he wrote regarding this…

Note: Some Monte Carlos came with "blacked out" rocker panels and you'll notice that my rockers are not blacked out. According to the body man and painter that worked on the car, this Monte did not originally have the blacked out rockers and the car is correctly painted without the black.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Glen said:

One of the many documents I have for my ‘70 is a five page description of everything about the car after it was reportedly frame off restored in 2003. The guy who owned her at that time quite extensively described everything about the car to help facilitate the sale. He specifically referenced the rocker colors. So I could only speculate that it varied from plant to plant.  Following is what he wrote regarding this…

Note: Some Monte Carlos came with "blacked out" rocker panels and you'll notice that my rockers are not blacked out. According to the body man and painter that worked on the car, this Monte did not originally have the blacked out rockers and the car is correctly painted without the black.  

My 70 built Oct 1969 had black rockers. So did my other original paint 72s Ive owned. I have heard that for some darker colours the factory didn’t paint the black rockers but I have not seen first hand evidence of this.

• Like 3

The only color I would believe didn't have the lower black painted from the factory is black. All other colors do not look right without the black. Its on my "to do" list for "Big Red". 

• Like 4