I REBUILT MY TRANNY, MYSELF!

Arvizu9618

It can be done guys and I'm sure that some of you have.

I didn't know a thing about the inner workings of a transmission, alls I needed was the overhaul book and determination.

I'm kind of glad that i had the junk tranny from craigslist, it helped me for reference and I needed a couple of hard parts off of it, especially for the front pump, namely the drive gear, because I chewed up the last one when I installed the torque converter incorrectly.

thanks,

ART

I'd like to try to do mine myself too. I hear it's not an easy task though frown I'm glad you managed to do it yourself. It cost an arm or two to have someone else do it.

if you can rebuild a chevy small block, you can definately rebuild a TH350 trans. I think the 400's are about as easy.. never actully done one. a 700r4 takes some patience and care. took me 3 or 4 tries to get a 700r4 right.

the tricky part are getting the clutches apart and back together.

a pair of c-clamps works well for most of them. the low&reverse clutch at the bottom of case can be a real pain.

a piece of 3" pvc pipe with a notch cut out of the side of it (4" might work too, it's been a while) works well. place that on the piston. then you need two 1/4" thick steel bars wide enough to span the case at the back, and span the pvc pipe. you will need a hole drilled thru both of them. run a long bolt, or all thread thru the two and simply tighten.. then you can reach in thru the notch in the PVC to undo the snap ring.