HELP!!! 454 Throttle Linkage - clearance issue

gdubya

70 SS 454 factory AC car.  I found the numbers correct carb for the car but the throttle linkage is different than on the carb (incorrect carb for a 73 truck).  When I installed the new carb the throttle linkage hits the rear mounting bolt for the AC bracket.  Is the issue the bracket (I believe it is the correct BB bracket) or the linkage on the carb?  Wondering if anyone has a picture of a 70 454 AC car they can share.  If I need to swap out the linkage where do I find the correct one?

Also, what is the name of the ball on the linkage where the throttle cable attaches?  picture attached

Pictures attached.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

2 hours ago, gdubya said:

Also, what is the name of the ball on the linkage where the throttle cable attaches?  picture attached

Throttle ball, ball stud, throttle ball stud, carburetor ball stud. Any of those will give you a good result with a google search.

1 hour ago, gdubya said:

I think it is the wrong baseplate.  Number on the carb is 7040200 which from everything I researched is the correct carb.

right carb. can you use your old baseplate? Swapping the throttle shaft is an artform to most

I sat there and looked long and hard at a baseplate swap however I just had it restored/rebuilt and didn't want to mess with it.  I will look for a correct baseplate another time so I trimmed it a bit to clear the bolt.  There are additional holes in the linkage to properly mount the throttle cable so I installed a new ball stud for the throttle linkage.  One of the holes is actually in a better relative position to the throttle bracket than then carb that is coming out.  Once the air cleaner goes on no one will know the difference in the meantime.

I appreciate all the responses.  I have been working on old cars all my life and every once in a while I get stumped.  Didn't think to look at the carb before I restored it to check the baseplate.  Right part number, wrong baseplate.  Another lesson learned.

46 minutes ago, gdubya said:

I sat there and looked long and hard at a baseplate swap however I just had it restored/rebuilt and didn't want to mess with it.  I will look for a correct baseplate another time so I trimmed it a bit to clear the bolt.  There are additional holes in the linkage to properly mount the throttle cable so I installed a new ball stud for the throttle linkage.  One of the holes is actually in a better relative position to the throttle bracket than then carb that is coming out.  Once the air cleaner goes on no one will know the difference in the meantime.

I appreciate all the responses.  I have been working on old cars all my life and every once in a while I get stumped.  Didn't think to look at the carb before I restored it to check the baseplate.  Right part number, wrong baseplate.  Another lesson learned.

Don't feel bad, I can build a Chevelle or Monte with my eyes closed. Buy one of these and find out what you don't know. Those old Carters are a PITA!

70606481_10218024203990709_5065286929126260736_n (1).jpg

56835524_10216926440587310_562196285445111808_n.jpg

Hey Gerry, sorry I'm late to the party. I'm in progress of dis-assembly of my 454 but can't post pic's till tomorrow if your still interested. It looks like in Pauls pic's there is a hex screw in the bracket on the d/s rear carb to intake bolt, Mine had the same hex screw. While i'm not knowledgeable to state mine is all numbers/part correct it is a 454 a/c car. 

1970MCSS - what is the number stamped on the linkage?  Cannot make it out in the picture.  Also, is yours a 4 speed?

DragCat - yes please post pictures and if you can find the part number on the baseplate it would be appreciated.

Gerry, the only number I can see stamped in the aluminum baseplate is 40719 ? It is around the rear bolt for the carb to manifold (pic 1) I also included a pic #2 of the linkage as it was before I removed the carb. 1970 ss 454 a/c car automatic. 

40719.jpg

linkage.jpg