Headliner sail panels & visors

Paul Bell

Because the years ago installed headliner in my car is some odd shade of blue, I can't match the material to do the sail panels.

So I need to replace the headliner and visor covers.

Questions:

OPG shows two shades of blue, one is lighter the other darker. Which is correct for a 1971 car?

The headliners offered appear to include enough material to do the sail panels. Is there enough to also do the visors? OR should I purchase new visors?

Is headliner replacement a job I can do myself? What else do I need?

1 hour ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

I plan to replace headliner on my 71 myself as I was told it would be MUCH easier if both front and rear glasses are taken off as I haven’t done it yet.  Let me know how you plan to do it.

On a "modern" vehicle with a hard cardboard headliner removing the windshield is usually mandatory.

On these cars it's a cloth that's suspended from wire rods that run from side to side.

Have spoken with an auto upholstery professional, the headliner has to be stretched properly to look correct.. I’m having them do the job... also, you can call opgi as I have done several time to check for visor material...the material my upholstery person ordered comes with visor material.. and the glass wont be removed, they said... hope this helps some... it’s also a very dusty job if the roof padding has deteriorated..

• Like 1

I found a Youtube video, two parts, like 45 minutes each but fast forwarding through them they can be viewed in about 15 minutes.

It's some guy doing the install and he's learning as he goes along. Early on, the seats are in the car then they disappear.

From this, I learned:

-The center rod snaps into plastic clips that are in the roof bar, these clips are brittle and will need replacement with new.

-The roof rail weatherstrip needs to be removed which will destroy it so it also needs replacement with new.

-It looks like a lot of work so I'll shop around for installation quotes, I'm not gonna attempt this job (I'll screw it up).

I also found that just the cloth is $109.00 and there's enough included to do the sail panels AND visors.

SO: Headliner cloth + clips + weatherstrip + labor.

Now I just need to know, the lighter blue or the darker blue? I'm leaning towards the lighter blue because the 1970 blue interior was a darker blue but I'd like to confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuuWYq6ufo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqVzPAm6dI

Paul, I wish I could give you a better answer but I am not where my car is and don't see being able to get up there for a week or so.  What I can tell you is when I was in Carlisle I stopped by Lutty's Chevy Parts and bought a rear package tray for my 70 Monte and felt it would be the Light Blue but when I got it back to the show field it turns out it needed to be the the Dark Blue.  I know that is not much of a help but if I do get back up to my car this week I will double check which color I did end up with..

rob

I'm not about the color question but I have a quote from a local trim shop here in my area that has a great reputation. They quoted 750 for labor and materials to replace my headliner. Mine has a 3 inch hole in it. Maybe next year's project

22 hours ago, Paul Bell said:

I found a Youtube video, two parts, like 45 minutes each but fast forwarding through them they can be viewed in about 15 minutes.

It's some guy doing the install and he's learning as he goes along. Early on, the seats are in the car then they disappear.

From this, I learned:

-The center rod snaps into plastic clips that are in the roof bar, these clips are brittle and will need replacement with new.

-The roof rail weatherstrip needs to be removed which will destroy it so it also needs replacement with new.

-It looks like a lot of work so I'll shop around for installation quotes, I'm not gonna attempt this job (I'll screw it up).

I also found that just the cloth is $109.00 and there's enough included to do the sail panels AND visors.

SO: Headliner cloth + clips + weatherstrip + labor.

Now I just need to know, the lighter blue or the darker blue? I'm leaning towards the lighter blue because the 1970 blue interior was a darker blue but I'd like to confirm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHuuWYq6ufo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqVzPAm6dI

Mine is scheduled to be installed a bit after part arrives... comes from California... I’ll let you know how much labor was here to install...

I stopped at a bit of a high end interior shop today to get a quote, I used this guy before to fix a Firebird seat.

Can you believe he was closed on a Saturday? I bet he'll be closed on Sunday too! How dare he!! :rolleyes:

Whatever shop does the job, I'll let them take out the seats but not the center console. I'll assume it's less than a day's work so I wanna drop off the car and take it back the same day.

Of course, the engine rebuild & installation comes first.........