Gas treatment?

71MonteCarloMD

I have been working on my 71 350 since June that haven’t been driven since last June, last known was approx 1/4 left in tank as my fuel gauge stopped working.  I didn’t want to harm the carb/engine as I want to add more gas, what kind of gas treatment should I add along with few months old gas with fresh gas?

I've used either the GM Fuel Treatment Plus, or what used to be the equivalent from Chevron, their Fuel Treatment Concentrate. The GM stuff was called out in their service bulletins for some drivability problems. Some vehicles had fuel gauge issues and this was supposed to help clean deposits off of them. Also used more as an injector cleaner you could put in your gas tank. Looks like the bottle is smaller and different now with the GM stuff, but it used to be exact, even the bottom of the GM bottle had the Chevron emblem molded on it.

Advance Auto has the 20 oz bottle on sale now for $7.99

https://www.amazon.com/Chevron-Techron-Concentrate-System-Cleaner/dp/B00092893E/ref=pd_cp_263_2/141-4796413-7955602?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000CCOL3I&pd_rd_r=b4ef39e5-fa59-4b27-be83-a04c9bc0fa42&pd_rd_w=TsSyd&pd_rd_wg=xKboN&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=MN2QZ482B3YM1EBCH26D&refRID=MN2QZ482B3YM1EBCH26D&th=1

Like Tom says below though, for a few months old gas, fresh gas & go would work.

I have never added anything to my gas except some lead additive.  I have never used any of the winter stabilizer's they sell and I have never had any issues.  As a matter of fact, before I got my 29 Model A Ford back on the road a few years ago it had been sitting with the tank about half full for just over 10 years.  I put a new battery in the car and it started right up and ran fine.

rob

I guess it depends because i had ethanol blend in my model A and it would start but also rusted my tank and in my 91 camaro my fuel pump rusted with the newer fuel. that car i had to drop the rear end to remove the tank. to my lawn equipment and smalk gas engines i add trans fluid. to my boat i add fuel stabilizer. to my monte i add ethanol free fuel. .

I've always added the red Stabil additive to the gas for winter storage on the cars, motorcycles and small engines, but use their blue Marine stuff now. Supposedly good for the metal gas tanks, and for the 10% ethanol in most of our gas. The only non-eth fuel up here is 91 octane, but I use the 93-10% for the higher octane in the faster cars. I asked my tuner at the time he did the ZR1 & CTS-V and he preferred the higher octane vs the non-eth.

1 minute ago, imr said:

I guess it depends because i had ethanol blend in my model A and it would start but also rusted my tank and in my 91 camaro my fuel pump rusted with the newer fuel. that car i had to drop the rear end to remove the tank. to my lawn equipment and smalk gas engines i add trans fluid. to my boat i add fuel stabilizer. to my monte i add ethanol free fuel. .

Antoine,

The only issue I have had with the ethanol in the gas in my Model A was that the alcohol melted coating off of the cork float for the gas gauge and then the cork absorbed the gasoline and it sank to the bottom of the tank so the gas gauge always read as empty so I had to rebuild my Model A gas gauge and install a float that the ethanol would not affect.  I am lucky on Model A parts because Snyder's Antique Auto Parts is about 45 minutes from our house so it gives Patsy and I an opportunity for a little road trip to Ohio

rob