a/c compressor oil

sendo

It would depend upon if you are starting from scratch with a totally new/flushed system or a system where you have only replaced a part in and want to recharge.

rob

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

It would depend upon if you are starting from scratch with a totally new/flushed system or a system where you have only replaced a part in and want to recharge.

rob

all new

I'll take a stab at it....

First, if it's all new, I'd ask the place you got it from for their recommendation, if that's possible.

In my case, I got a complete Stage 3 upgrade R134a system from 'Classic Auto Air' with a sanden compressor. They state DO NOT add oil, since the compressor is already loaded with a full system charge. In fact, they want you to flush the rest of the system out if it was existing so as not to have too much oil (and get rid of old/bad oil, etc).

As far as refrigerant charge, they said 45 oz nominal, but in a 42-48 oz range. Start out with 42 oz, monitor center vent temp and add an oz at a time until it either stops lowering the vent outlet temperature, or starts rising.

• Like 1

In a Stock First Gen Monte AC System, with the entire system completely empty of oil and refrigerant, the system requires 11 ounces of the PAG Oil throughout the entire system.  A stock compressor only holds 4 to 6 ounces of PAG oil so the other 5 to 7 ounces of PAG Oil has to be introduced in to other components in the system and then the system sealed.  I do specify a Stock/Original compressor system because some other compressors may hold more but a stock one does not.

rob

• Like 1

When I switched over to 134 Freon I was told to only put in 75% of what the factory recommendation was. That is what we did when the system was first charged and it worked great.

• Like 1

the instruction sheet that came with my compressor say, if the amount of oil removed from the old compressor is less then 2.5 add 2.5 to the new , if it is greater 2.5 add the same amount.

but this is a new install

8 minutes ago, sendo said:

the instruction sheet that came with my compressor say, if the amount of oil removed from the old compressor is less then 2.5 add 2.5 to the new , if it is greater 2.5 add the same amount.

but this is a new install

That seems like pretty good advice, figuring that if it is 2.5 or less  the rest is of the oil would be inside the other components such as the drier, condenser, evaporator and lines.  

Personally, depending upon how old the existing oil is in the system, if the oil is rally old I would consider having the entire system flushed, cleaned and vacuumed to remove all oil and contaminants from the system and stat with fresh oil.  

When I was redoing my system last winter I was replacing all of the lines, drier, POA and expansion valves so I removed my condenser and evaporator coils and completely flushed them out and the old oil that came out of the system was sort of amber/brown so I was glad I cleaned the system before adding the new oil.  Another reason for starting with new oil is if the compressor was leaking around the shaft seal you will not know how much oil had leaked from the system.

rob

Rosendo, What system do you have, is it complete with all the parts, lines, etc & who is the vendor? What type of compressor also, stock type or smaller Sanden unit?

did you go with a sanden compressor or the a6 compressor. when you say all new does that mean you replace evap and cond units. if so then your good if not i would flush the system because ester and pag oil doesnt mix well. will you be going 134 or r12. 

9 minutes ago, sendo said:

all new, evap, parallel condenser, hoses, drier, expansion valve, a6 compressor

want to go 134

If you are going with the R134, were the flexible hoses you bought the Barrier type hoses.  When I did my system I was advised  to use the Barrier hoses for the R134 due to the consistency of it.  

So, with the original compressor you will need 11 ounces of the PAG Oil.  You should be able to get 4 to 6 ounces into the compressor.  I would lean toward no more than 4.5 to 5 otherwise it will be hard to mount without it leaking out.  I think I got at least 2 to 3 ounces into the drier and the rest into the condenser.  

Where did you get all of your parts for your rebuild? 

rob 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob Peters said:

If you are going with the R134, were the flexible hoses you bought the Barrier type hoses.  When I did my system I was advised  to use the Barrier hoses for the R134 due to the consistency of it.  

So, with the original compressor you will need 11 ounces of the PAG Oil.  You should be able to get 4 to 6 ounces into the compressor.  I would lean toward no more than 4.5 to 5 otherwise it will be hard to mount without it leaking out.  I think I got at least 2 to 3 ounces into the drier and the rest into the condenser.  

Where did you get all of your parts for your rebuild? 

rob 

hoses and condenser original air group,evap the parts place, compressor rock auto,  drier and valve ebay