Aftermarket Fuse Block

201fireman

I am going from a small block to a 489 BBC.  I will be adding a Meziere electric water pump and already have dual electric fans. I am looking at the additional fuse block below from Painless Performance.  This would run the fans, water pump, stereo, etc. I will also have a 140 amp alternator (not sure what battery yet).  Am I on the right track for a good electrical set-up?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-70107

They don't say what amperage the circuit breaker is but the feed wire is 10 gauge-which means total load shouldn't exceed 30 amps. Two good sized fans might draw 20 amps each.

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/70107.pdf

Many single feed fuse blocks have pretty thin strips inside the feeding everything. Independent feed fuse blocks are better because it doesn't depend on one wire and internal strips to feed them all.

You can get an Independent feed block and tie them all together with a heavy wire that'll handle your total load. Relays are better separate from the fuse block.

https://www.campingworld.com/blue-sea-systems-st-blade-fuse-block-6-independent-circuits-350606.html?msclkid=3fdd553b42791033bb4908cc6263b5c6&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SHB | Boating %26 Watersports&utm_term=4580702886566933&utm_content=CW - boating %26 watersports %26 marine electrical

I used two of the above Blue Sea blocks. I made up an aluminum buss to center feed both of them with a 4 gauge wire that hits the battery and alternator. Relays for my fans are at the horn relay, fuel & water pump relays are on the firewall. A 200 amp Powermaster alternator feeds everything, a 140 should do well. Go for the biggest AGM battery you can fit.

IMG_20170827_142139448.jpg

• Like 1

I installed the very same fuse block you listed, as far as powering the fans as someone mentioned above you would not power the fans from it, that would come directly from the battery with a fuse and would run off a relay...I installed an override switch on my console but again that power source was from the battery.

The fuse block was more than adequate for fuel pump, electric cutouts, my gearvendors overdrive, aftermarket radio, etc...

Ok guys have any of you used the Ron Francis AR-99 fan kit? If so, or even if you haven't but know of it, any opinions on the quality of it? The kit uses an electronic temp sensor in a lug that goes on a manifold bolt (not sure if this is good but it's interesting).  It has a couple of nice features like fans kicking on one at a time instead of at the same time, fan run on option that allows the fans to run for 2 minutes after the car is shut down, etc.  

Anything from Ron Francis would be a good quality product.

I don't care for dual fans where one comes on full speed then the second comes on also at full speed. It's noisy even with one and the full power turn on is a pretty high instantaneous current spike.

I like what GM did with the '98 & up Camaros & Firebirds. Low speed, the two fans come on wired in series. They run at half speed and the startup current is low. High speed switches them to parallel connected, full speed.

BUT you'll need two things to trigger it. I actually drew it up in the 1980's with switches in the console. Now my EFI system triggers the relays at set temperatures.

Here's the relay setup for it. Coils are powered from key on ignition, the triggers are switched grounds.

FANS.jpg

• Like 1