New Member In Ontario, Canada

Stewys454

I’d like to introduce myself as a new member to your club, thanks to Rob Peters getting me set up. My name is Bob Stewart and I live in Ontario, Canada. I’m about 45 minutes over the border from Port Huron. I’ve been to Leo’s at Konik's Klassiks, who is just outside of Port Huron  a few times getting parts and visiting. I own a 71 SS454 that’s been in my family since new. My sister and her husband ordered it originally and I bought it from them in 1973. It’s been stored since the early 80’s and it’s now in early stages of restoration. I’ve got the body off the frame doing it from the ground up. Frame is a rolling chassis again after sandblasting, powder coating and lots of new parts. The motor and tranny (both original) have been rebuilt and are sitting back in the frame. The car is black (no vinyl top) with a blue interior. One interesting option on the car is that there is no power steering. My brother in law didn’t like GM power steering at the time so he ordered it without, there was a delay getting the car as I believe power steering is a standard feature on monte’s. I’m looking forward to getting it back together and driving it. Hope to meet some of you at future car shows. Have a nice holiday season!

Bob

IMG_20191223_085116.jpg

IMG_20191223_085126.jpg

IMG_20191223_085157.jpg

IMG_20191223_085219.jpg

IMG_20191223_085328.jpg

IMG_20191223_100658.jpg

Edited by Stewys454
Pictures
  • Like 1

Welcome Bob good to have you as a member. I had the pleasure of meeting Bob a while back,when I bought a 1/4 panel from him. Super nice guy. Gave my wife and I a tour of his shop. At that time his ss was in the very early stags of rebuilding. Since then we've stayed in contact with each other and resently Bob e-mailed me some pictures of the ss. All I can say is wow. Top shelf work. Bob you should start a thread in the ss section and let others see your progress. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Robert said:

Welcome Bob good to have you as a member. I had the pleasure of meeting Bob a while back,when I bought a 1/4 panel from him. Super nice guy. Gave my wife and I a tour of his shop. At that time his ss was in the very early stags of rebuilding. Since then we've stayed in contact with each other and resently Bob e-mailed me some pictures of the ss. All I can say is wow. Top shelf work. Bob you should start a thread in the ss section and let others see your progress. 

Hello Robert, did you introduce yourself to us? I missed it if you did I guess But welcome aboard also.

On 12/22/2019 at 1:18 PM, Canuck said:

Welcome! Interesting car you have. Was it built in Canada?

Thank you.

Yes, it was built in Oshawa on Jan.11/71. My printout from GM says that they built 65 SS models out of that plant and just six black ones.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 1:34 PM, cny first gen 71 said:

:W aboard sounds sounds like your well on your way with it. When are you thinking of completing it? Oh yea we love pictures here.

Lol, I'll get some pictures posted shortly. 

I don't have a completion date as of yet, I just keep plugging away at it....I'm enjoying it.

4 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

Hello Robert, did you introduce yourself to us? I missed it if you did I guess But welcome aboard also.

Hi  Steve  Yes I did. I'm in my third year as a member. Very few posts. Thanks for the welcome.

On 12/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, MC1of80 said:

Welcome Bob! Interesting not having power steering. Are you keeping it that way? Sounds like you're off to a great start!

We love pictures!!!! Lolol

Lol, I'll get some pictures posted shortly. Yes, the power steering thing is interesting. I'll likely keep it that way, it wasn't bad unless you were trying to parallel park! 

2 hours ago, cny first gen 71 said:

We have a big show the 50th anniversary of the monte at Carlisle in june, our eastern meet . Also here in Syracuse ny in July we have a mini meet at the Syracuse nationals. Just some things to shoot for

Thanks, I'd like to get to the 50th anniversary but the car won't be ready by then.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, willie said:

Welcome Bob!!!  I am wondering if P/S delete must be shown on the build sheet?  There couldn't of been many without P/S.

Thank You.

Actually, I have GM Canada's printout history with the options on this car but it doesn't mention the PS. I know it came that way as my brother-in-law ordered the car. All the pulleys on the front of the motor are just single grove, no allowance for power steering. Cars were so simple back then!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2019 at 5:47 PM, amsterdam84 said:

Greetings! Good to see there's more Ontarians out there! I am near Hamilton myself. Perhaps sometime in the spring/summer we can get together!

Thanks!

For sure we can meet up, we're not that far from you. I live in Strathroy, halfway between London and Sarnia. What are you working on?

My email is bobstewy55@gmail.com 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Thanks Robert, have a nice holiday season!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, Stewys454 said:

Thanks!

For sure we can meet up, we're not that far from you. I live in Strathroy, halfway between London and Sarnia. What are you working on?

My email is bobstewy55@gmail.com 

Have my 71 monte that I've had for 14 years. Sort of running and driving though there are some issues that I'm going to try and take care of this year. 

Hi, Bob,

Just wanted to add my belated welcome - not sure how I missed your introductory post just before Christmas.  Your '71 SS was obviously a real looker in it's earlier life (love the Cragars, BTW) and it will probably be even better when you're finished with it.  Great that you are investing the time, talent and money to completely restore it!

Regarding the manual steering on your car, I believe your GM Canada documentation confirms what I have understood since I bought my '70 ten years ago - power steering was not standard (although a very popular option) on first gen Montes.  I can understand your desire to keep it original.  I also know from experience that the most satisfying of all the many, many upgrades I have done to my low-option BB/4-speed '70 was installing factory power steering.  Leo provided the BB brackets and the steering box, hoses and pulleys were all available through local salvage, swap meets and parts stores.  I initially installed a rebuild kit in the pump and haven't had a leak, squeak or problem since - just effortless driving, parking and turning around even with larger 255x60 front tires.  I don't think the addition of factory options hurts a cars value as long as it enhances the owner's driving experience. JMO, of course.

20 hours ago, amsterdam84 said:

Have my 71 monte that I've had for 14 years. Sort of running and driving though there are some issues that I'm going to try and take care of this year. 

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your car.

Bob