New Member In Ontario, Canada

Stewys454

12 hours ago, MCfan said:

Hi, Bob,

Just wanted to add my belated welcome - not sure how I missed your introductory post just before Christmas.  Your '71 SS was obviously a real looker in it's earlier life (love the Cragars, BTW) and it will probably be even better when you're finished with it.  Great that you are investing the time, talent and money to completely restore it!

Regarding the manual steering on your car, I believe your GM Canada documentation confirms what I have understood since I bought my '70 ten years ago - power steering was not standard (although a very popular option) on first gen Montes.  I can understand your desire to keep it original.  I also know from experience that the most satisfying of all the many, many upgrades I have done to my low-option BB/4-speed '70 was installing factory power steering.  Leo provided the BB brackets and the steering box, hoses and pulleys were all available through local salvage, swap meets and parts stores.  I initially installed a rebuild kit in the pump and haven't had a leak, squeak or problem since - just effortless driving, parking and turning around even with larger 255x60 front tires.  I don't think the addition of factory options hurts a cars value as long as it enhances the owner's driving experience. JMO, of course.

Hi Dennis, thanks for the welcome. Being from a small town, it did get lots of looks and a ton of interest when my wife decided to do some off roading with it.  Even the police gave me a hard time for letting my wife drive it, it had a lot of work done to the motor, lol.

Makes sense about the power steering, certainly  explains it. As of now, I'm going to leave it as is and will deal with it if I need it at a later date. Leo isn't far from me, I'm just over the border from him. He's got some interesting cars around the shop.

I see you stay in Punta Gorda during the winter, have you seen the black SS at Muscle Car City?  I haven't been there for a couple of years but it looked good the few times I did see it. Not sure how original it is but I liked it. I see you're from Minnesota, anywhere near Red Wing? I actually sold a green SS to a guy there years ago.

Bob

Bob, You are correct. We love to drive along the shore line going North to Port Huron Michigan near his home. We were there for a party in (WOW) 2003!

P7190002.jpg

11 hours ago, Stewys454 said:

Hi Dennis, thanks for the welcome. Being from a small town, it did get lots of looks and a ton of interest when my wife decided to do some off roading with it.  Even the police gave me a hard time for letting my wife drive it, it had a lot of work done to the motor, lol.

Makes sense about the power steering, certainly  explains it. As of now, I'm going to leave it as is and will deal with it if I need it at a later date. Leo isn't far from me, I'm just over the border from him. He's got some interesting cars around the shop.

I see you stay in Punta Gorda during the winter, have you seen the black SS at Muscle Car City?  I haven't been there for a couple of years but it looked good the few times I did see it. Not sure how original it is but I liked it. I see you're from Minnesota, anywhere near Red Wing? I actually sold a green SS to a guy there years ago.

Bob

Hi, Bob,

Sounds like your wife's "off roading" excursion may have been accidental?  Hope no one (except possibly the Monte) was injured. 

Actually, Punta Gorda is our permanent residence but we spend 6 months (minus a day to be legal) at our summer home in Crosslake, MN (NC, about 120 miles due west of Duluth). 

Yes, I have seen (and drooled over) the black '71 SS 4-speed in the Muscle Car City Museum many times.  I spoke at length to one of the MMC employees who services the cars and maintains the display and he stated unequivocally that it had been converted to a 4-speed by a prior owner.  If you Google Muscle Car City and watch the YouTube interview with Barry of CarCrazy you will hear Rick Treworgy say he collects only the most powerful models/versions made and prefers 4-speeds.  That black '71 SS apparently satisfys his criteria because it is the only Monte of any generation I have ever seen in his museum.

The original location of MMC was just 1/2 mile from my home but 2 years ago they relocated 1 mile south (still on Hwy 41).  Rick had to trim down his selection of 180 cars on display (at least another 80 in storage) as the new museum is in a bit smaller space (former Sweet Bay super market instead of old Wal Mart store) but he has more room to expand his Sting Rays cafe and his retail and consignment operations.  They continue to have monthly car shows on the 3rd Saturday and swap meets on the last Sunday.  Let me know if you make a return visit and I'll bring my '70 over to meet you.  I've met several other members that way.

DSCN2179.JPG

IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_5340.JPG

• 2 months later...