Engine shut off after putting in gear

71MonteCarloMD

After replacing distributor with Petronix which started Monte quickly on a cold start.  Drove out of garage in reverse, no issue.  Letting it run for a few minutes then put in first gear to move back into garage it shuts down - it started up again without any issue, put in gear again, it shuts down again.

then almost didn’t get it to start but got it running.  Had to press on gas to Keep it running after putting in gear.

my 4bbl Rochester carb was rebuilt by local shop 2 years ago that improved with braking and moving forward at red light.

am I experiencing vacuum issue?  If not, what am I experiencing?  And what solution to resolve this?

Is it possible your idle solenoid.... also known as the anti-dieseling solenoid, is set properly.  If the idle is set too low, once you put it into gear it may shut off.  I also agree with checking the timing. 

rob

Ditto on the timing but did you replace the wire from ignition switch to coil? Pertronix requires 12 volts as opposed to the points which only required about 6 volts at start up. It should tell you that in the instructions. The orig. Is a resistor wire and needs to be replaced with regular wire. At least my petronix set up is that way.

1 hour ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Yes, I replaced with 10 gauge wire from fuse box (ignition) to the coil.

if I remove the advance vacuum hose, what should happen?

It will change idle a little but shouldn't cause it to stall.  Check and reset timing  that will probably help.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:05 PM, 71MonteCarloMD said:

I haven’t checked timing after replacing the distributor to electronic, will check.

which hose is the advance hose?

The hose runs from the distributor to the carburetor 

Thanks all as I was able to tune it up and felt the engine runs more smoother!  And no longer shut down when putting in gear!

one thing I noticed when shifting in gears, I could feel entire car shifted in gear, is that normal?  This may be that my timing gun broke during the adjusting timing as I made my best guess based on my feeling on the engine running?