Slow progress on the 71SS.

TommySS454

Thought I would show a few pics of what I've been doing. New bushings and bolts for A- frames. New front springs and replaced all ball joints. New brake lines. Now pulling the rear end to check the control arm bushings and get it painted. Not the original 3:31 with shock protectors but it will have to be good enough for now. Will need to get new fuel lines too, but I might have to bend them myself. Damn things are expensive for what they are.  Just doing what I can when funds allow. Have a good one everyone.

IMG_20191228_152504534.jpg

IMG_20191228_152523656.jpg

IMG_20191228_152610694.jpg

IMG_20191228_152649089.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Tommy! Nice progress! I personally used to think like you about prebent lines.  Now I won't use anything else unless I can't get them. 

I use regular steel prebent lines. Not stainless. I usually get them from inline tube. Soooo much easier and faster and nicer looking. Just saying. Lol. 

Keep plugging along.   Baby steps are best.  Why hurry, you will be bored with nothing to do when it is done..... Wait a minute, they are never done.

rob

I have bought from inline tube a few times, and they are the cheapest I have found for the fuel lines. I just think $65 a piece for the supply and the return, before shipping, is steep for steel lines. Dont really want to bend my own but damn. Havent made up my mind yet.

Buy the prebent! You will be Soo happy. Lol. Especially that the body is off like cny first gen 71 said. 

I also hate spending money when I can save some but sometimes it's just worth it in the long run. 

Well now that I see they are %25 off I guess now is the best time. Id just like you guys to know Im throwing you all under the bus when I tell the wife im ordering more parts. Thanks

• Haha 1

Pre-bent stainless brake, fuel, and fuel vapor return lines on mine since '04, best thing I ever purchased for it no problems yet!! Hope to meet you in Carlisle with or with your Monte. Nice progress on your build. I was there once, now onto another project. hope to have mine finished up before Carlisle 2020. Rob is right "never done"  post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg 

Edited by 420ponies
added sentence

Hey Tommy, as said prior any progress is progress. Just take your time, I have a rule that if i'm not 100 % up for working on mine I don't. Always seems when your not in the mood things go wrong and its not an enjoyable experience. Not that I call busted knuckles bruises and cuts enjoyable but its just part of the game . And as stated, your always going to have something you want to work on to replace, or upgrade, or make better. Thanks for sharing the pic's

On 12/29/2019 at 10:22 PM, Rancid87 said:

I placed an order for brake lines and wanted the fuel lines but the 3/8 fuel line is out of stock now! I ended up buying trans cooler lines instead!

I got the fuel lines today and installed them. It looks like I may have bought the last one they had in stock!

Looking good! I have been working on control arms, spindles, calipers, and all the small items i can take apart and refurbish. Would like to get the frame cleaned up and painted this month but weather hasn't been that cooperative on the days I have off.

Nice Harley in the background ,I expect.. 

looks like it could be a triglide or electro glide..,, nice restoration on the Monte frame by the way 👍🏻

Thanks, it's a 12 ultra. Have an  91 (ish) custom Softail as well. That's actually why the Monte sat for several years. Got  sidetracked with motorcycles. The SS could be done with the $ I've spent on these things.

IMG_20150513_160547420.jpg

IMG_20160709_184829098_HDR.jpg

Nice bike color, those are very comfortable too,. I had a 2008 ultra, got difficult to keep upright with a passenger at a stop, traded it for a 12  tri- glide... I ride in Tenn mountains mostly... but always make time for the Monte.. car shows , ect.. just enjoy doing things to her... I feel free whether  on the bike or in the 71... maybe you can scoot down to PA in June... great to chat with you ... I’ll be lookin for that Monte too 👍🏻... Ron...24E82FA9-C3AE-4165-88A6-75AD30E71633.thumb.jpeg.58a024fbfa37efb829dd28ec16a1db5d.jpeg