New year, New Career

7tonemonte

I used to enjoy this.  Used to get great satisfaction seeing a car returned to its old beauty.  People loved getting their cars back clean and shiny, freshly polished and detailed, with all traces of an accident removed, and returned to its former glory.  Used to enjoy the occasional restoration job, hearing the stories of back when the car was beautiful, and the owners plans of what they will do when its beautiful again. 

Used to enjoy my time with my boss and friends I worked with together as a team for 10+ hours a day, spent more time with them than anybody. Then, as times changed, I chased the money.  I wanted to....I Had to.  Shops became larger, along with the workload. No more speaking with customers, hell, I barely saw the finished product anymore. 2-3 cars a day turned into 6-10, some days even more.  Teamwork turned into a free for all, and nothing matters but pushing that job out of your bay and onto the next step.  Quality left for quantity. Along with that, happiness and satisfaction left for stress and anger. Constantly hating getting out of my car every day. I thought I had to do it for my family, and we needed the money.  

Well I need to say what my family needs, is me.  Happy.   Alive.  Free.  This thing I used to enjoy has sucked the life out of me, now it has sucked my enjoyment of cars out of me too.  Cleaning my own personal vehicles has become a chore, I hate everything with wheels at this point. The very thing that got me started in painting was my love for cars, and gave me great joy on weekends and at night. 

I’m hanging up my paint guns, at least in this capacity, getting out of the booth.  Stepping back from all this aggravation and stress. The whole industry has changed, and not for the better, however all I know is paint.   It’s what I’m good at. It’s what I’ve probably shaved years off my life for.  I know getting away from the daily anger will bring me back to my former happiness.  I want to love getting in my Monte and going for a ride again, and not be upset when and if I actually have to pick up a wrench.  

I will now use my skills again, helping people solve problems and learn how to use the products the way you are supposed to.  Not just be a robot and spray car after car with no care or concern about the vehicle, or the customer for that matter.  Go back to not being angry. Having a dream of advancing, some for of light at the end of this tunnel. Hanging up the guns and stepping out of the booth to be a tech rep for Finishmaster’s, starting on  Monday January 6th, new year, new career! Very much looking forward to it!

When I saw this car pictured below in a jail cell with my kids on a trip to the Eastern State Penitentiary, it hit me. This was me in the paint booth, a prisoner in my cell.  It was meant to be art, representing what happens to ones mind being locked in a cell. But I guess it means whatever you want it to, For me, Time to break out, get on with my life.    I’m better than this, and I deserve better.  Time to act on it!  54632BF6-F874-49BE-B815-5764CF6F2C75.thumb.jpeg.cbfb1d4ab39e2dacec9012fd634f0310.jpeg

• Like 3

Tony, I for one think you are going to be the best at your new career. That's why I'm still a machinist all these years. Great feeling when you've accomplished the job and piece is perfect, smooth,shiney and the boss appreciate's  all you did on that job. I have a great appreciation for anyone who does body, paintwork.. you are masters of an art. 

• Like 1

Anybody that saw Tony's car when it was up on a lift in the early stages of restoration and with sections of rust cut out of it and to see how beautiful it is now know what a master Tony is/was at his art.  

Tony, it was nice to get to talk to you the other night and discuss how things are going.  I wish you luck in your new career, they have hired a true master.

rob

• Like 1

Good luck to you Tony and happy new year!

I have a friend who is a car guy and works as a mechanic but he’s lost a lot of the motivation to work on his own car. Sold his cars years ago and currently has no project.

I hope this move will help you enjoy your beautiful Monte Carlo more often.

Congratulations Tony, I remember when I decided to put away the tool box for good. Body was beat up for many years and I'd had enough.  I completely changed careers and had another good number of years. As you know I've since retired and that's what you gotta look at. Good luck at the new place, see you in June. 

Great to hear of your major career shift, Tony!  Work/life balance is so important for you and your family.  You obviously have a wealth of technical knowledge and experience that will serve you and your clients well in your new position.  Congratulations on your move and new opportunity!  Wishing you and your family all the best in the new year!

Hey Tony, Happy New year. Congrats on the new move, you have to do whats best for you and the family. I was in a completely different field but never home, always working. Regretted it the entire time, but thought i had to man up and keep going to take care of the family i was never around.  What a change after i left (retired) from it. 

Again congrats on the new gig i am sure you will do great!!!

All the best...

I have nothing but great things to say about finish master the guys there have helped me a lot over the years.  Unfortunately they done away with our Anderson store several months ago and consolidated it with the Greenville store that is 45 minutes away :(

It seems to be a good job, the guys I dealt with loved it and been there a long time.

I couldn't imagine having to do this for a living in a production shot I wouldnt last a week. 

Tony,

With a young family the demands on your time grow year after year.  I rarely have a chance to get on here.  Kids involved in multiple sports (all travel, sometimes multiple teams per sport per season.... then school sports to boot).  Then the house, car responsibilities and "honey do" list.

The long  hours, stress and everything else you dealt with does not even take into consideration the impact it may have had on you future health.  I hope the new career path brings you satisfaction in teaching the art but no longer being a slave to it.  Better place to be for many reasons.

Dan

good luck tony hope life improves   I did 25 years with Goodyear same thing run and gun did many side jobs trying to make money for young family   left Goodyear bought repair shop with 2 friends life is good great feeling talking to customers/friends    enjoy working on daily drivers and muscle cars again   find it relaxing to work/clean my monte

Good luck. I felt the same way in my line of work. I was so happy when the company offered a package to get out. I took it I feel better overall with no regrets. I'm only 60 but I've put myself in a position where I do not have to work again. Retirement is great. Again good luck I'm sure you will enjoy it.

John S