Vinyl trim layout

Miikkeewheel

The next step I've got to do before paint is drilling holes in the new top for some vinyl trim screws before paint.  The original top was rusted beyond repair, so I have cut a top off a 1970 non vinyl body, and welded it on. I've got all the body work finished around that area, but now I have no studs to put the trim fasteners on. I've also only got holes for the "monte carlo" emblems, but none for the "custom" emblems.  I'm planning on taping the trim to the roof and drawing pencil lines down each side so I can start my holes between these lines with a center punch.  I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this, and has any advice or possibly an easier method of accomplishing this.

Thanks!

Michael

I have never done this but i would use a sharpie. them they sel some self taping screws for this purpose that will accept the proper clips. i saw the screws looking for vinyl trim clips. 

Hey Mike,

A couple of questions/thoughts for you.

- Did the first top (that was bad) have a vinyl top on it?  Maybe you could use that top for a pattern of where to place the studs.  You could also get the locations for the "Monte Carlo" and "Custom" badges from there also.
- Are you planning to put a "full" halo top on your car?  That would make it a little more work.
- Do you already have the vinyl trim pieces?  You will have to put them together and lay them out on the car.  Be sure to put tape on the new paint before doing any work.
- I usually try to make patterns of where to put things using tape and making marks before doing any drilling or screwing.  The molding strips are pretty thin so you have to be pretty accurate on your locations.
- I would start at the rear corners and work my way forward.  There is little room for error if you start at the rear corners and rear molding strip first.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

Thanks for the fast replies! The first top that was bad was so rotten that the only thing holding it together was the vinyl. Everything crumbled apart when the old vinyl was removed.  It was strange since that's the only rust that was on the entire car.

I'm not doing the full halo top. Just the one that ends at the windshield. I still have all the trim pieces.

Thanks again

Here are pictures of sail panel emblem holes from an original 72 Custom.the holes are the same for both the Monte Carlo emblem and the custom. Measure 1 inch center of hole from the last Monte Carlo emblem hole and that is where the custom emblem starts.holes are 7 inches long in total and both emblems have the posts in the same location . Hope this helps

KIMG1079.JPG

KIMG1080.JPG

KIMG1081.JPG

• Like 2