Tail Panel Repair

72RustBucket

2 hours ago, Rancid87 said:

Looks nice! Will you be putting the 72 molding on the back or are you deleting it? 

Still not 100% on that. I do have the molding, and it does make the trunk not have as much of a "lip" over the new piece...but I don't think i will be using the bottom molding/trim on the sides of the car, and that piece sort of matches, so not sure if it would look weird leaving the rear piece on.

if you are not going to use it I may think about reworking your tail panel slightly to remove any overhang the trunk lid has. Having said that, I don't think it would look weird if you kept the tail molding but deleted the side moldings. You can use some masking tape to hold the molding on to see how it looks.

Looking good!

Especially with the slight overhang, I vote for all the tail mouldings. I feel the 72 should have it/them. That's one of the unique parts that make the 72 distinct from the 70 and 71. 

Small update. Haven't done any new work to this area yet, but I got a hold of Beldenspeed.com and they don't want to sell me their gutters, because they don't think they will help me. I can totally respect that! They said their gutters stop right at the curve, so they don't have the corners. I also don't have the necessary "lip" on my new pieces for their gutters to weld to...which I haven't put in place yet...because i want to make sure they are in the right spot...and I was going to use their gutter for placement lol. 911216037_TailPanel.jpg.2f3d00f1c4545b506e02f71dd87cfe39.jpg

So now I have 2 options. First is to buy the AMD or Goodmark reproductions. They appear to have the bottom corners, though the scant reviews I've seen have said minor adjustments to turn radius might be needed. I was hoping someone here would be able to give any sort of review on wither of these products. If they have the corners, I can match to whats left of my gutters to the reproduction piece, and then use the piece to postion my trunk latch.

1549507194_20200126_1854101.thumb.jpg.3596704e8b0f11e0229979295567a09c.jpg

Option 2 would be to basically fabricate everything myself, or at least do the corners myself, so that I can maybe purchase the pieces from Belden.

I do have the old corners, they are just all rusty and covered in filler...but could probably used as a guide at least.

So let me know what you guys think! When I get off work tonight I might try getting something done.

3 hours ago, 72RustBucket said:

So let me know what you guys think!

Truth? I would have found a 70-72 Monte rear panel and put it in. In the long run it'll come out more accurate, take less time & work, everything will fit properly/not leak, and you can put your very considerable skills and talent towards another part of the car that needs attention. You asked.....:2beers:

• Like 2

If your looking for a trim piece not so special, I have one ,('72) that I cleaned and painted, Silver/gray with black pinstripe I'd send you if you want to use it. I could send a picture of it to you.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg  

Looks good. I have that piece your talking about. I just moved it last month to one of my storage places. I’ll try and find it and post pics against my trunk if you want. 
Let me know. 

50 minutes ago, mrbigg said:

I’m wondering if you could have used this-

Boy, that sure looks like a winner. Here's the link so you can blow it up a lot more. (just click on the pic, it'll pop up a bigger window). Obviously the 2 outer panels will match the 69 Chevelle tail lights & probably be unusable, but the center panel sure looks right.

https://www.opgi.com/sheet-metal-body-panels/trunk-panels/tail-patch-panel-set/patch-panel-rear-panel-1968-69-chevelle-w-brackets-ch23558.html

2 hours ago, jft69z said:

Boy, that sure looks like a winner. Here's the link so you can blow it up a lot more. (just click on the pic, it'll pop up a bigger window). Obviously the 2 outer panels will match the 69 Chevelle tail lights & probably be unusable, but the center panel sure looks right.

https://www.opgi.com/sheet-metal-body-panels/trunk-panels/tail-patch-panel-set/patch-panel-rear-panel-1968-69-chevelle-w-brackets-ch23558.html

jft69z- Great job on the research on the other thread.  👍

Thanks for posting a link. Couldn’t get it to work for some reason. 

Same trunk lid, should fit perfectly along that edge. Inside curves and contours would probably match up as well since the trunk lid width would be the same.

First and foremost, great fabrication on the tail panel. BUT with all the issues you are having, wouldn't it have been cheaper and faster to have found a good tailpanel from AZ Chevies, dessert valley or the like? Or maybe a member here has a parts car with those pieces that are good? My brother and I are currently "out of stock" on both parts. 

Same goes for the lower part where the bumper bolts to and meets the chassis. 

I also have been curious for years if the 68-69 Chevelle tailpanel will mostly work. 

• Like 1

It doesn't appear that he is having too many issues overall considering the complexity of the panel. A good replacement panel would have been easier but part of the fun of these projects is fabricating your own parts.

• Like 1