Tail Panel Repair

72RustBucket

19 hours ago, Rancid87 said:

It doesn't appear that he is having too many issues overall considering the complexity of the panel. A good replacement panel would have been easier but part of the fun of these projects is fabricating your own parts.

👍

On mine the top of the weather strip lip was rusted off. I ground the edge off and cut the edge of a metal shelf off and carefully bent it just right to fit. Then I used panel bond to attach it. Then used body filler on the ends. I can't find the pictures I took but that was about 10 years ago and its holding up just fine. Just another thought. Keep up the good work.

32 minutes ago, Rancid87 said:

A shrinker/stretcher would have come in handy for that area. I wouldn't shy away from making the corners out of a couple pieces of metal then welding and finishing them off. Looks like you are getting there though!

I think the shop might be acquiring a shrinker/ stretcher soon lol. He was talking about maybe getting a bead roller too...would be nice ...

This has definitely been a very interesting thread.  I admire people who have the skills not simply to be able to restore a car but to also taking it a step farther by actually fabricating parts like you have been doing.  Keep the pictures coming.

rob 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been spending the last several weeks cleaning out the inside and undercarriage with wire wheels, putting in floor and trunk patches. Recently used Ospho on the inside and undercarriage. Sadly all my days off have landed on the wintery spring days we've been having. As soon as it's nice out I can neutralize and epoxy, hopefully next week.  For now, I figured since I've got the car on the lift, I'd take a lower rear picture. Post Ospho. 

20200413_190140.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright,  this will probably be my last update to this thread. Epoxy on the repair, then some fiberglass body filler (upol fibral lite) with epoxy over top. Personally, I rushed it a bit but I don't care! I could have spent the time to perfectly shape the filler, but being that it will mostly be hidden...

Now when I eventually get around to blocking the whole thing I might take the time to perfect it but for now its good enough for me! 

20200429_012151.jpg

20200429_012200.jpg

20200429_012211.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...