Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Peters

LED Tail Light Assembly Kits

Recommended Posts

This is really not a new product but it is a different supplier contact for our members.

Many of our long time members may remember a good while back a company named Shinny Hiney was offering for sale a kit to convert your original Monte Carlo tail lights from a normal bulb to a LED tail light setup.  The members who bought them were very happy with the kits and how bright they are.

The bad news is the Shinny Hiney company went out of business but the good news is you can still get these kits directly from the company that supplied Shinny Hiney with these kits.

If you are interested in one of these conversions here is the name of the company and their website link.

The name of the company is TECHNOSTALGIA  and their website is info@coolleds.com    The owner is Todd Sondles

rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing Rob, I thought we would never see these again. Mine are still working properly.post-259-0-06116300-1484180397_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update, Rob, and for posting the direct link, Larry. 

I bought a pair of these in the club group buy a couple years ago just as Shiney Hiney was going out of business.  Like some other members, I have been super pleased with them.  It is a great way to improve the brightness (and function) of your tail lights, brake light and turn signals while maintaining a completely stock appearance (when they are not lit, of course).

Their price is about $25 less than the originals and nearly the same as our group buy price, if I remember right.  I must say that I highly question their claim of a 30 minute installation (maybe after your 20th install) but it is not bad at all.  In fact if you simply buy a pair of lamp-socket three-wire pigtail plugs from ebay (see photos below), you can dispense with the long wires, grommets and connectors they provide and simply replace your stock 1157 lamp bulb with the pigtail plug and be in business.  If you ever want to go back to the stock lamps, just unplug the LED modules and replug the standard bulb.

I must admit that I was skeptical when I first saw these but I'm glad I tried them and would do it all over now that they are available again.

 

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MCfan said:

Thanks for the update, Rob, and for posting the direct link, Larry. 

I bought a pair of these in the club group buy a couple years ago just as Shiney Hiney was going out of business.  Like some other members, I have been super pleased with them.  It is a great way to improve the brightness (and function) of your tail lights, brake light and turn signals while maintaining a completely stock appearance (when they are not lit, of course).

Their price is about $25 less than the originals and nearly the same as our group buy price, if I remember right.  I must say that I highly question their claim of a 30 minute installation (maybe after your 20th install) but it is not bad at all.  In fact if you simply but a pair of lamp-socket three-wire pigtail plugs from ebay (see photos below), you can dispense with the long wires, grommets and connectors they provide and simply replace your stock 1157 lamp bulb with the pigtail plug and be in business.  If you ever want to go back to the stock lamps, just unplug the LED modules and replug the standard bulb.

I must admit that I was skeptical when I first saw these but I'm glad I tried them and would do it all over now that they are available again.

 

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Ditto Dennis.....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dennis, I was one of buyer with the club and I need to buy the lamp socket as I couldn’t find it on eBay, do you have link?

Rick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Dennis, I was one of buyer with the club and I need to buy the lamp socket as I couldn’t find it on eBay, do you have link?

Rick

Rick,

I found this one on Amazon.... https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-Adapters-Sockets-Covert/dp/B007FUF32S/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=1157+lamp+socket+with+pigtail&qid=1578797723&sr=8-27

rob

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Dennis, I was one of buyer with the club and I need to buy the lamp socket as I couldn’t find it on eBay, do you have link?

Rick

Rick,

That was too far back to be retained in my ebay purchase record, but here's another one that looks similiar: LINK

$3.59 each for a pair with free shipping, not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the postings, I might look into this conversion in the near future. Looks pretty straight forward from the pictures 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Thanks for the postings, I might look into this conversion in the near future. Looks pretty straight forward from the pictures 

Mark,

Yes, it is very straight forward, especially if you ditch their instructions for removing one of your stock 1157 lamp sockets and splicing into the stock harness.  Instead, using the male plug with the three-wire pigtail is quick, easy and makes the installation completely reversible.  One step I neglected to show in my original post was to simply plug the unused lower lamp socket with a flexible plug/cap (as show below) to keep dust or debris out since the lower lamp bulb should be removed also.

IMG_0211.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MCfan said:

Mark,

Yes, it is very straight forward, especially if you ditch their instructions for removing one of your stock 1157 lamp sockets and splicing into the stock harness.  Instead, using the male plug with the three-wire pigtail is quick, easy and makes the installation completely reversible.  One step I neglected to show in my original post was to simply plug the unused lower lamp socket with a flexible plug/cap (as show below) to keep dust or debris out since the lower lamp bulb should be removed also.

IMG_0211.JPG

Thanks for adding that info, I probably would have overlooked that and it makes perfect sense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...