LED Tail Light Assembly Kits

Rob Peters

This is really not a new product but it is a different supplier contact for our members.

Many of our long time members may remember a good while back a company named Shinny Hiney was offering for sale a kit to convert your original Monte Carlo tail lights from a normal bulb to a LED tail light setup.  The members who bought them were very happy with the kits and how bright they are.

The bad news is the Shinny Hiney company went out of business but the good news is you can still get these kits directly from the company that supplied Shinny Hiney with these kits.

If you are interested in one of these conversions here is the name of the company and their website link.

The name of the company is TECHNOSTALGIA  and their website is info@coolleds.com    The owner is Todd Sondles

rob

• Like 4

Thanks for the update, Rob, and for posting the direct link, Larry. 

I bought a pair of these in the club group buy a couple years ago just as Shiney Hiney was going out of business.  Like some other members, I have been super pleased with them.  It is a great way to improve the brightness (and function) of your tail lights, brake light and turn signals while maintaining a completely stock appearance (when they are not lit, of course).

Their price is about $25 less than the originals and nearly the same as our group buy price, if I remember right.  I must say that I highly question their claim of a 30 minute installation (maybe after your 20th install) but it is not bad at all.  In fact if you simply buy a pair of lamp-socket three-wire pigtail plugs from ebay (see photos below), you can dispense with the long wires, grommets and connectors they provide and simply replace your stock 1157 lamp bulb with the pigtail plug and be in business.  If you ever want to go back to the stock lamps, just unplug the LED modules and replug the standard bulb.

I must admit that I was skeptical when I first saw these but I'm glad I tried them and would do it all over now that they are available again.

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

• Like 7

3 hours ago, MCfan said:

I bought a pair of these in the club group buy a couple years ago just as Shiney Hiney was going out of business.  Like some other members, I have been super pleased with them.  It is a great way to improve the brightness (and function) of your tail lights, brake light and turn signals while maintaining a completely stock appearance (when they are not lit, of course).

Their price is about $25 less than the originals and nearly the same as our group buy price, if I remember right.  I must say that I highly question their claim of a 30 minute installation (maybe after your 20th install) but it is not bad at all.  In fact if you simply but a pair of lamp-socket three-wire pigtail plugs from ebay (see photos below), you can dispense with the long wires, grommets and connectors they provide and simply replace your stock 1157 lamp bulb with the pigtail plug and be in business.  If you ever want to go back to the stock lamps, just unplug the LED modules and replug the standard bulb.

I must admit that I was skeptical when I first saw these but I'm glad I tried them and would do it all over now that they are available again.

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Ditto Dennis.....................

27 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Dennis, I was one of buyer with the club and I need to buy the lamp socket as I couldn’t find it on eBay, do you have link?

Rick

Rick,

I found this one on Amazon.... https://www.amazon.com/United-Pacific-Adapters-Sockets-Covert/dp/B007FUF32S/ref=sr_1_27?keywords=1157+lamp+socket+with+pigtail&qid=1578797723&sr=8-27

rob

33 minutes ago, 71MonteCarloMD said:

Dennis, I was one of buyer with the club and I need to buy the lamp socket as I couldn’t find it on eBay, do you have link?

Rick

Rick,

That was too far back to be retained in my ebay purchase record, but here's another one that looks similiar: LINK

$3.59 each for a pair with free shipping, not bad.

1 hour ago, DragCat said:

Thanks for the postings, I might look into this conversion in the near future. Looks pretty straight forward from the pictures 

Mark,

Yes, it is very straight forward, especially if you ditch their instructions for removing one of your stock 1157 lamp sockets and splicing into the stock harness.  Instead, using the male plug with the three-wire pigtail is quick, easy and makes the installation completely reversible.  One step I neglected to show in my original post was to simply plug the unused lower lamp socket with a flexible plug/cap (as show below) to keep dust or debris out since the lower lamp bulb should be removed also.

IMG_0211.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MCfan said:

Mark,

Yes, it is very straight forward, especially if you ditch their instructions for removing one of your stock 1157 lamp sockets and splicing into the stock harness.  Instead, using the male plug with the three-wire pigtail is quick, easy and makes the installation completely reversible.  One step I neglected to show in my original post was to simply plug the unused lower lamp socket with a flexible plug/cap (as show below) to keep dust or debris out since the lower lamp bulb should be removed also.

IMG_0211.JPG

Thanks for adding that info, I probably would have overlooked that and it makes perfect sense 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know, not sure if its because of the world situation but these are all out of stock everywhere (pigtails). I got mine (haven't installed yet) and my buddy ordered a set (not sure if the amazon site said out of stock like it does now) but he got a 2 wire set and had to return them. Todd was super helpful when I ordered the LED'S, hope to het them installed this month lol

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2020 at 12:31 PM, MCfan said:

Their price is about $25 less than the originals and nearly the same as our group buy price, if I remember right.  I must say that I highly question their claim of a 30 minute installation (maybe after your 20th install) but it is not bad at all.  In fact if you simply buy a pair of lamp-socket three-wire pigtail plugs from ebay (see photos below), you can dispense with the long wires, grommets and connectors they provide and simply replace your stock 1157 lamp bulb with the pigtail plug and be in business.  If you ever want to go back to the stock lamps, just unplug the LED modules and replug the standard bulb.

IMG_0229.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0225.JPG

Hey Dennis, I'm close to putting mine in and curious how you wired the pig tail. From the pictures it looks like you removed to LED 4 wire harness and spliced the 3 wire 1157 pigtail. How did you determine which lead from the pig tail went to which wire on the LED board? 

31 minutes ago, DragCat said:

Hey Dennis, I'm close to putting mine in and curious how you wired the pig tail. From the pictures it looks like you removed to LED 4 wire harness and spliced the 3 wire 1157 pigtail. How did you determine which lead from the pig tail went to which wire on the LED board? 

Honest answer, Mark, I don't remember.  It was obviously the yellow wire that I tied off as shown in the fourth photo above and the two additional photos below.  There may have been a wiring diagram included with the light assembly.  I certainly don't remember doing any trial and error routine and, believe me, I am not that lucky to choose the correct wire to eliminate and the other three pairings so I must have had some direction. 

Do your new light assemblies have the same four colored wires coming out?  If so, I suggest you strip the ends of the three wires I used (even before you trim the length) and connect them temporarily with wire nuts to a 1157 plug as shown in the photos and install it in the upper socket.  Now have a helper engage your headlights, brake light and turn signals while you watch.  If everything works properly, as it does on my car, you know you have the correct three wires and respective plug connections. 

If the wire colors are different on your new light assemblies you will either need to do some comparative wire tracing, reference a wiring diagram or do some trial and error (hopefully not damaging anything in the process).

Sorry my memory is not very good and that was a couple years ago now.  That's the main reason I usually take lots of photos of my projects - hope they help.

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_0231.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Dennis, thanks for the reply and additional pic's. Yes my 1157 pigtail and LED wires are the same colors as your description. And I will do as you suggested, i'll splice/wrap the wires and test before I crimp/solder anything but you've given me a good starting point. I too take lots of pic's and to the amusement of my buddy go overboard on the bag and tag along with painters tape and different colors of electrical tape to document things. I learned my lesson years ago in my blue oval days with vacuum lines lol. 

• 1 month later...

I installed mine today, what a difference (on the positive side). I recommend getting the pigtail. i'm not a fan of cutting/soldering original harness's and its plug and play, same thing going in reverse. My connections were red to red, black to black, and white to green on a stock 70 SS . 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Save a set for me if you want John. No hurry, you can bring them if & when the border opens up and you come get your other parts here.

Thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 9:06 PM, Rob Peters said:

This is really not a new product but it is a different supplier contact for our members.

Many of our long time members may remember a good while back a company named Shinny Hiney was offering for sale a kit to convert your original Monte Carlo tail lights from a normal bulb to a LED tail light setup.  The members who bought them were very happy with the kits and how bright they are.

The bad news is the Shinny Hiney company went out of business but the good news is you can still get these kits directly from the company that supplied Shinny Hiney with these kits.

If you are interested in one of these conversions here is the name of the company and their website link.

The name of the company is TECHNOSTALGIA  and their website is info@coolleds.com    The owner is Todd Sondles

rob

Rob, MUCH THANKS for this! I am definitely going to look into these!

I may be new to this site, but am 40 Years into the Monte!

Am on my third SS since 1983! And starting in 1981, had 4 other 350's from 70-72)

Jeff  1970 SS454

Hey Jeff, I'll definitely give the product a thumbs up 👍, I did it primarily just to make my brake lights brighter, and with the pig tail it was pretty much plug and play. I got my pig tails on Amazon but like everything else these days supply may be limited 

• 1 month later...

Was surfing through the fgmcc site and just found this info on led lights. Another winter project for me :). Found both the tail lights and the male 3 wire pigtails on eBay and ordered.. lights are still same listed price as when this post created. Thanks guys 👍🏻. Won’t be much longer till Carlisle !

• Like 2